Alfreton is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Derbyshire.
Other places in the parish include: Swanwick, Summercotes, Somercotes, Greenhill Lane, and Birchwood.
Parish registers begin: 1706; Separate registers exist for Swanwick 1860
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Particular Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
Parishes adjacent to Alfreton
- South Wingfield
- Selston with Underwood and Westwood
- South Normanton
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Alfreton, 6 miles E. Wirksworth, Mrkt., Mon. P. 7577
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Crosby’s Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1815
Alfreton, (Derb.) ia a small market town, situated almost in the middle of the county, on an elevated and healthy spot. It is related by Camden and confirmed by tradition, that king Alfred was the founder of this town, and the remains of his castle are now shewn to the inquisitive traveller. The truth of this tradition, however, is doubtful: Alfreton did not receive its present name until about the 14th century. The town consists of two streets, crossing each other at right angles, in the centre of which is the market place, where formerly stood an ancient market cross, remarkable for having been cut out of one solid block of stone. At Swanswick in this parish is a free school; founded in 1740 at the expense of Mrs Eliz. Turner, and endowed by her, for the instruction of 24 children in reading and writing. This number has since been augmented by the trustees to 40. The parish church of St. Mary is an ancient structure, built before the reign of Henry II. There is one meeting house for dissenters. The number of inhabitants (including Alfreton-Outseats) is 3396; who are chiefly employed in the manufacture of stockings and calicoes, and also in working the neighbouring collieries. There is also a brown-ware pottery.
Bankers. Messrs. Wylde and Bolyer, draw on Fraser and Co. Cornhill.
Market Day and Fairs. The market day, formerly held on Monday, is now on Friday, for which day it was originally chartered. Fairs, 31st July and 24tb Nov.
Distance from London. By Derby and Smithy houses, is 140 miles; by Derby and Oakenthorpe, 142; from Becher 6; Chesterfield, 10; Derby, 14; Mansfield, 9; and Nottingham, 16.
Post. The post arrives from the north at 7 in the morning, and from the south, at 5 in the afternoon.
Principal inns. The George and the Angel, at both of which there are good accommodations for travellers.
Gentleman’s Seat. Alfreton Hall, (Rev. H.C. Morewood)
Source: Crosby’s Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1815; Baldwin, Cradock & Joy.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Barber Joseph, Alfreton, Derbyshire, innkeeper, June 16, 1829.
Bartram Joseph, Alfreton, Derbyshire, mercer and draper, Nov. 21, 1828.
- County: Derbyshire
- Civil Registration District: Belper
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Alfreton
- Poor Law Union: Belper
- Hundred: Scarsdale
- Province: Canterbury