Chilmark is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Status: Ancient Parish
Other places in the parish include: Rudge, Ridge Hill, and Ridge.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1611; 1622
Nonconformists include: Baptist
Parishes adjacent to Chilmark
- Teffont Magna
- Fisherton Delamere
- Fonthill Bishop
- Teffont Evias
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
CHILMARK, a village and a parish in Tisbury district, Wilts. The village stands near the Roman road to Bath, 2 ¾ miles WNW of Dinton r. station, and 4 E of Hindon, and has a post-office under Salisbury, Wiltshire, and a fair on 30 July. The parish includes also the tything of Rudge. Acres, 3,154. Real property, with Fonthill-Bishop, £5,008. Pop., 642. Houses, 134. The property is divided among a few. Part of the surface is down. A Portland bed freestone, which furnished the material for Salisbury cathedral, is extensively quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £426, Patron, the Earl of Pembroke. The church is excellent. John de Chilmark, the “Archimedes” of the time of Richard II., was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Tisbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Chalke
- Poor Law Union: Tisbury
- Hundred: Dunworth
- Province: Canterbury