Alne with Aldwark is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Youlton, Tollerton, Thorlthorpe, Tholthorpe, Flawith, and Aldwark.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1560
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Alne
- Myton on Swale
- Newton upon Ouse
- Great Ouseburn
- Little Ouseburn
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALNE, a township and a parish in Easingwold district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on an affluent of the Ouse, and on the Northeastern railway, 11½ miles NW by N of York; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Easingwold. Acres, 2,240. Real property, £2,428. Pop., 453. Houses, 99. The parish includes also the townships of Youlton, Aldwark, Tollerton, Flawith, and Thorlthorpe. Acres, 9,947. Real property, £12,424. Pop., 1,592. Houses, 333. The property is much subdivided. A chief residence is Alne House. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; and includes the curacy of Aldwark. Value, £415 Patron, Sir Codrington. The church is Norman, and has a carved oaken pulpit, a Norman font, a piscina, and a recumbent alabaster effigies. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £47.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Alne Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Alne, 3 miles S.S.W. Easingwold. P. 1703
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Alne Yorkshire Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Alne (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Easingwould, wapentake of Bulmer, N. riding of York; comprising the townships of Aldwark, Alne, Flawith, Tholthorp, Tollerton, and Youlton; and containing 1703 inhabitants, of whom 494 are in the township of Alne, 4¼ miles (S. S. W.) from Easingwould.
The parish contains by computation 10,900 acres, of which 1900 are in the township of Alne, and are chiefly arable; the surface is level, and the land comprises every variety of soil. A fair for cattle and sheep is held on the Tuesday next after the 8th of Oct. The Great Northern railway passes through the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King’s books at £10; net income, £370; patron and impropriator, Sir C. B. Codrington: a small glebe-house was obtained by exchange with the patron, in 1842. The church, an ancient edifice, with a square tower, was repewed about thirty years since. There are places of worship for Wesleyans at Alne, and Tollerton; where, and at Aldwark and Tholthorp, are also schools. Remains exist of a religious house, which was subordinate to St. Mary’s, at York.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Abbey Robert, Alne, Yorkshire, miller, Jan. 1, 1822.
Civil Registration District: Easingwold
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of Alne and Tollerton
Rural Deanery: Bulmer
Poor Law Union: Easingwold