Neen Sollars is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin: 1656
Parishes adjacent to Neen Sollars
- Knigton on Teme
- Cleobury Mortimer
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Neen-Sollars, a parish in Cleobury-Mortimer district, Salop; on the river Rea, the Kington canal, and the Tenbury and Bewdley railway, at the boundary with Worcester, 3 miles SSW of Cleobury-Mortimer. It has a station on the railway; and its post-town is Cleobury-Mortimer, under Bewdley. Acres, 1,779. Real property, £2,051. Pop., 189. Houses, 36. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Col. Rushout. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Milson, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £360. Patron, Worcester College, Oxford. The church is ancient and cruciform; has a tower, with a wooden spire; contains the tomb of the traveller Conyngsby; and was reported in 1859 as very bad. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Neen Solars or Neen Sollars. A parish in the hundred of Overs, a rectory in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Burford, and archdeaconry of Salop. 42 houses, 231 inhabitants. 2 ½ miles south of Cleobury Mortimer.
In the church of Near Solars there is a monument to Humphrey Conyngsby, Esq. On the top is a fair coat of arms of the Conyngsbys, with the motto, Jacta Libertas. Below this is written in four columns as follows: –
‘Time cutteth down the body,
But Christ raiseth up the spirit.
Here, Conyngsby, in lively shape thou liest,
Who sometimes wert the champion of Christ;
Didst travail Europe for his only sake
(And, found the foe) his quarrell undertake;
What greater valour, piety, could be,
Then bleed for him who shed his blood for thee ?
Alas our life, although we stay at home,
Is but a toylsom pilgrimage on earth
But thou a double pilgrimage didst roam,
Thou was almost abroad, ever from thy birth.
Thy journey’s end was heaven, of homes the best,
Where till thou camest, thou never couldst take rest.
One life is lost, yet livest thou ever,
Death has his due, yet diest thou never.’
‘This statue and monument were made in commemoration of Humphrey Conyngsby, Esq., only son of John Conyngsby, of Neen Solars, Esq. and of Anne his wife daughter of Thomas Barnaby, of Hull, in the parish of Brockleton and county of Worcester, Esq., which Humphrey Conyngsby was late Lord of this Neen Solars and patron of this church; and was heir of the eldest line and family of Conyngsby from whom all the rest are derived: which before King John’s time were barons of England, and then resided at Conyngsby in Lincolnshire.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Cleobury Mortimer
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Burford
- Poor Law Union: Cleobury Mortimer
- Hundred: Overs
- Province: Canterbury