Marton is an ecclesiastical parish formed from the parish of Chirbury in July 12, 1859, and comprises the townships of Marton and Stockton, Shropshire.
Marton is near the Montgomeryshire border, 15½ miles south-west from Shrewsbury and 5 east from Forden station on the Cambrian railway.
Parish church: St. Mark
Parish registers begin: 1859
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
Parishes adjacent to Marton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Marton, a chapelry in Chirbury parish, Salop; adjacent to the boundary with Wales, 3 miles E of Offa’s dyke, 4½ EN E of Forden r. station, and 6 NE of Montgomery. Post town, Chirbury, Salop. Pop., 328. Houses, 72. The chapelry was constituted in 1859. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £45. Patron, the Vicar of Chirbury.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824
Marton. A township in the parish of Chirbury, and in the upper division of the hundred of Chirbury. 15 ½ miles south-west of Shrewsbury.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Marton Shropshire Parish Documents 1902
(Marton is an ecclesiastical parish formed from the parish of Chirbury in 1860, and comprises the townships of Marton and Stockton, Shropshire.)
Documents in the custody of the Vicar. – Kept in a safe in the Church, viz:-
Register of Baptisms, 1860 – in use
Register of Marriages, 1860 – in use
Register of Burials, 1860 – in use
No Tithe Map.
Family History Links
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District:
- Probate Court:
- County Court District: Welshpool
- Petty Sessional Division: Chirbury
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Montgomery
- Poor Law Union: Forden
- Hundred: Chirbury
- Province: Canterbury