Northallerton is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the North Riding of the county of Yorkshire. Deighton is a chapelry of Northallerton.
Other places in the parish include: Romanby and Bank Head.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin: 1592
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, General Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Industry: malting, brewing, tanning, and brickmaking, tiles, linen goods, and leather.
Parishes adjacent to Northallerton
- Danby Wiske
- North Otterington with Thornton le Moor and Thornton le Beans
- Kirby Sigston
- Ainderby Steeple
Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870
NORTHALLERTON, a parliamentary borough and market and post town of Yorkshire, the chief town of the N. Riding of Yorkshire, 31 miles N.W. from York. It has a Gothic church in the form of a cross, numerous chapels for nonconformists, a free grammar school, sessions-house, a house of correction, a hospital, and several almshouses. In the neighbourhood is Standard Hill, where the Battle of the Standard was fought in 1138, between the Scotch and English, in which the former were defeated. Manf. Bricks, tiles, linen goods, leather, and beer. Mar. D. Wed. P0p. 4755. It is a station on the North-Eastern Railway, 44 miles from Leeds, and the point from which a branch of the same railway runs to Bedale and Leyburn.
Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Northallerton, market town, par., and township, North-Riding Yorkshire, on Sun Beck, affluent of the Wiske, 15 miles SE. of Darlington, 30 miles NW. of York, and 221 miles from London by rail – par., 14,364 ac., pop. 5640; town and township, 3050 ac., pop. 3692; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks. Market-day, Wednesday. North-allerton is the capital of the North-Riding. The industries are not extensive, but include malting, brewing, tanning, and brickmaking. There is a large trade in agricultural produce, a cheese fair, and fairs for horses, cattle, and sheep. Near the town, at the place called Standard Hill, was fought the “Battle of the Standard ” (1138), in which the Scottish King David I. was defeated by Thorstan, Archbishop of York. Northallerton returned 2 members to Parl. from 1640 until 1832, and 1 member until 1885.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Family History Links
- County: Yorkshire
- Riding: North
- Civil Registration District: Northallerton
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Bishop of Durham and the Dean and Chapter in Allerton and Allertonshire
- Diocese: York
- Rural Deanery: Cleveland
- Poor Law Union: Northallerton
- Hundred: Allertonshire
- Province: York