Albrighton (near Shrewsbury) is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1738 from a chapelry in Shrewsbury St Mary Ancient Parish.
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin: 1674
Parishes adjacent to Albrighton
- Shrewsbury St Mary
- Preston Gobalds
Albrighton (Shrewsbury) The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Albrighton, a township and chapelry in the parish of St. Mary, Shrewsbury, Shropshire; 3½ miles north of Shrewsbury. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Lichfield, and a peculiar of the dean of Lichfield; gross income £52. It is endowed with £800 royal bounty. Patrons, in 1829, the mayor and chief schoolmaster of Shrewsbury. Pop., in 1801, 58; in 1831, 98. Houses 9. A. P. £883. Poor rates, in 1837, £23.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Albrighton Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Albrighton, 3½ m. N. Shrewsbury. P.85.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Albrighton (near Shrewsbury) Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Albrighton. A township in the parish of St. Mary, Shrewsbury, and in the Baschurch division of the hundred of Pimhill, but encompassed by Shrewsbury liberties. 10 houses, 75 inhabitants. 3 ¼ miles from Shrewsbury.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Albrighton Parish Registers
Albrighton Parish Registers 1649-1812
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. 1 (1900)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
Albrighton (Shrewsbury) Shropshire Parish Documents 1902
Documents1, etc. in the custody of the Parish Meeting. – Kept by the Chairman at his house, viz:-
- Minute Book.
Documents, etc. in the custody of the Vicar. – Kept in a safe in the Vestry, viz:-
Terrier, dated 1884.
General Register, stated to commence 1665 (but first entry 1674) to 1790. There is a note on the first page of this Register – “The age of the old Register is the year 1563.” (NB. – This has been lost.)
- Register of Baptisms and Burials, 1790 – 1812
- Register of Baptisms 1813 – in use.
- Register of Marriages, 1852 – in use
- Register of Banns, 1858 – in use
- Register of Burials, 1813 –in use.
(Note. – It will be observed that there is no Register of Marriages in this Parish from 1790 to 1852.)
The Vicar of Albrighton has no Tithe Map or Award, but Mr. Sparrow, of Albrighton Hall, has a copy which is dated 1845.
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Atcham
- Probate Court: Court of the Royal Peculiar of St Mary Shrewsbury
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Wem
- Poor Law Union: Atcham
- Hundred: Albrighton Division
- Province: Canterbury
- Shropshire Parish Documents published 1902. A report of the Inspection of Parish Documents made to Salop County Council under section 17 of the Local Government Act 1894. Note: The location of the documents listed in this transcription are as cited in the book published in 1902 and should be used as a guide only. It should not be assumed that the documents are still kept at the stated location. Interested parties should perhaps contact Shropshire records office to ascertain the documents current whereabouts. ↩