Blockley Worcestershire Family History Guide

Blockley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Ditchford, Dorne, Paxford, Northwick, and Draycott.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1538

Nonconformists include: Baptist and Primitive Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Blockley

  • Stretton on Fosse
  • Bourton on the Hill
  • Ebrington
  • Snowshill
  • Chipping Campden
  • Aston Magna
  • Batsford

Historical Descriptions

Blockley

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Blockley, a parish surrounded by Gloucestershire, but belonging to the upper division of the hund. of Oswaldslow, union of Shipston-on-Stour, county of Worcester; 3 miles north-west of Moreton-in-the-Marsh; and 10 south-east of Evesham. It comprises the hamlets of Aston-Magna, Blockley, Ditchford, Dorne, Draycot, Northwich, and Paxford. There are 6 silk-mills, which, in 1838, gave employment to 215 hands, within this parish, besides several corn-mills on a branch of the Stour. In the vicinity are some good stone-quarries. Fairs are held on the Tuesday after Easter week for cattle, and on the 10th of October for hiring servants. There is a branch of the Gloucestershire Banking company here. Living, a vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; valued at £54; gross income £780; in the patronage of the bishop of Worcester. The impropriate and vicarial tithes of the township of Blockley, and the hamlets of Draycot and Paxford, were commuted in 1772. The Baptists have a place of worship here; the church was formed in 1820. There are two day and Sunday schools in this parish, endowed with £12 14s. per annum, arising from the interest of bequests. There was anciently a monastery here. Vestiges of the ancient fosse-way of the Romans, are visible within this parish, and many coins and other relics of that people have been found here. Blockley, previous to the Reformation, possessed a bishop’s palace; but no traces of it now exist. Pop., in 1801, 1,569: in 1831, 2,015. Houses 431. Acres 7,660. A. P. £11,722. Poor rates, in 1837, £752.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Blockley, 8½ miles S.E. Evesham, and 2 m. S. Camden. P. 2136

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Blockley – a parish and township of considerable extent, in the hundred of Oswaldslow, upper division, 10 miles S.E. from Evesham, and 86 from London; containing 235 inhabited houses. Previous to the Revolution, the bishops of Worcester had a palace here, and from the many relics of antiquity found in the vicinity, it is supposed to have been a Roman station. Northwick, Paxford, Aston, Draycot, and Dorne, are hamlets in this parish. It formerly had three chapels, now all destroyed. The church is a noble structure, with a handsome tower erected by the Rushout family, now elevated to the Peerage; who have likewise been considerable benefactors to the poor. A number of springs rise here, which supply water for several silk mills, the proprietors of which have realized considerable property. The hills abound with stone quarries, the stone of which is chiefly used for dry-walling, as there are no hedges.

Blockley has 2 fairs annually, one on the Tuesday after Easter week, and the other on the 20th October; neither of which are of any note. The living is a vicarage; Rev. W. Broughton, incumbent; patron, the Bishop of Worcester. Population, 1801, 1569 – 1811, 1654 – 1821, 1647.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Laird Description of Worcestershire 1814

We now enter the parish of Blockley, a detached part of the county. The town itself lies to the left of the London road, and the view from this point into Gloucester and Warwickshire is extremely pleasing, looking down upon the rich vale in which Campden is situated. The hills of this parish abound in stone quarries, which are much used not only for building but also for dry walling for which purposes they are very well adapted, as no hedges are to be met with an these hills, so that a stranger might almost fancy himself in Derbyshire. The town of Blockley has several corn and silk mills, which are very beneficial in occupying the industry of the town and vicinity; the comfort arising from which is evident on all sides. Much credit is due to the parishioners for the care and attention shewn to the Church; in which, however, at different periods, they have been much assisted by the liberality of the Rushout family, now elevated to the peerage. The foundation of this church is very ancient; for a charter of Burhred, King of Mercia, in 855, mentions a monastery here, which Hemingus says was afterwards given to the Bishopric of Worcester. There is nothing else particularly worthy of notice, except some vestiges of the Roman fosse, at a place called Dorn, within the limits of the parish; and a hill called the Parks, which is opposite the vicar’s garden, and is supposed to have been part of the Episcopal park, which, with a palace, stood here before the Reformation. Blockley has a Fair on the Tuesday after Easter-week for a few cattle; and another on the 20th of October, which is principally a mop, or statute for servants.

Source: A Topographical and Historical Description of the County of Worcester, by Mr. Laird. Printed for Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row; and George Cowie and Co. successors to Vernor, Hood, and Sharp, 31, Poultry, London. Printed circa 1814.

Universal British Directory 1791

Blockley is near the limits of Gloucestershire, about twenty three miles from Worcester, and contains several hamlets. Has two fairs yearly, viz. on the second Tuesday after Easter-day, and on Old Michaelmas-day. There were anciently three chapels in the parish, though no vestiges of them remain at present. The church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, was rebuilt in 1727, having its first stone laid by the Right Hon. Sir John Rushout, Bart. Opposite the vicar’s garden is a hill called the Parks, supposed to have been the park of the bishop of Worcester, who had a palace here, before the reformation. – Principal inhabitants are, John and Henry Franklin, Thomas Peyton, Samuel Spilsbury, and – Wilkes, silk-throwsters.

At Northwick is the stately residence of Sir John Rushout, Bart. The park is well stocked with deer, and hath a fine growth of timber thereon, particularly very large oak.

Peckford, Aston, Draycot, and Dorn, are hamlets to Blockley. – Dorn is supposed to have been a Roman station, many small coins having been found here: one of Carausius was lately in the possession of the Rev. Mr. Selwyn, the vicar. The hilly parts near Bourton on the Hill, and Camden, abound in stone quarries. Here are chalybeate springs strongly impregnated, some of an incrusting, and others of a petrifying, quality. A brook, which rises in Bourton Wood, flows in a serpentine course through the parish, and has several silk and corn mills thereon; the silk manufacture employs a number of hands, and meets with considerable success.

Source: Universal British Directory 1791

Ditchford

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Ditchford, a hamlet, in the parish of Blockley, union of Shipston-upon-Stour, Upper division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Blockley and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 4¼ miles (S. W. by W.) from Shipston; containing 36 inhabitants.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Dorne

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Dorne, a hamlet in Blockley parish, Worcester; on the Fosse way, 3 ¼ miles S of Chipping-Camden. Coins, foundations, and other relics have been found.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Dorne, a hamlet, in the parish of Blockley, union of Shipston-on-Stour, Upper division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Blockley and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 1 ½ mile (N.) from Moreton-in-the-Marsh; containing 47 inhabitants. Tradition relates that Dorne was once a city of some importance; and this is confirmed by the discovery of ancient foundations, with some Roman and British coins.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Dorne – a hamlet in the parish of Blockley, and hundred of Oswaldslow, upper division; containing 7 inhabited houses. This place was formerly a Roman station.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Draycott

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Draycot [sic] – a hamlet in the parish of Blockley, hundred of Oswaldslow, upper division; containing 35 houses. Population, 1801, no return – 1811, no return – 1821, 197.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Directories

Online Directories

Bentley’s Directory of Blockley 1840 – Archive.org

Directory Transcriptions

Blockley Worcestershire Slater’s Directory 1850

Blockley Worcestershire Pigots Directory 1842

Blockley Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Ditchford Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Northwick Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Paxford Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Illustrations

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Shipston on Stour
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Blockley
  • Poor Law Union: Shipston on Stour
  • Hundred: Oswaldslow
  • Province: Canterbury
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s