Bishampton is a village and parish, distant 5 ½ miles from Pershore, and 10 from Worcester; it contains 2140 statute acres, and a population of 451 inhabitants.
The Church, dedicated to St. James, is a very old stone building, in the Gothic style of architecture, with a tower of three stages, containing six bells.
The only monument worthy of note is to Colonel John Callows, a lieutenant-governor of Quebec, who died in 1810. the living is a Discharged Vicarage, in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester. Rev. Henry Niven, M.A., Vicar; Mr. Moses Ford, Clerk. Service 11 a.m. and 2 30 p.m.
There is a School on the National system, chiefly supported by the Earl of Harrowby, at whose expense the school-room, as well as a house for the mistress, was erected. Average number of scholars, 60.
Charities – The charities of his place are but few, the principal of which are – £150 left by James Clarke, Esq., and £20 by Mrs. Mary Wallbank, the interest of which is annually distributed amongst the poor of the parish.
Niven Rev. Henry, M.A., Vicar, Vicarage
Ansell Thomas, tailor
Beck John, blacksmith and shopkeeper
Brookes William, wheelwright
Chattaway William, farmer
Cowley Richard, grocer and provision dealer
Curnock John, farmer
Davis George, blacksmith and wheelwright
Dorrell Thomas, farmer
Farley William, shoe maker
Firkins William, farmer
Fletcher John, farmer
Ford Moses, carpenter and Parish Clerk
Ganderton John, tailor and draper
Green John, farmer
Hamblin James, shoe maker
Hemus Miss E., preparatory day and boarding school
Kings Thomas, farmer
Niblett Benjamin, carpenter
Nightingale William R., farmer
Spiers Richard, farmer, Vicarage Farm
Stevens Joseph, farmer, Dean Lodge
Stevens Robert, baker
Tyler John, victualler, The Dolphin
Willetts William, farmer, Singer’s Bush Hall
Woodward Emma, beer retailer, The Dog
Carrier – To Worcester, Noon, Sat., 6 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855