Photo of St Faith’s parish church, Berrow, Worcestershire, seen from the southeast by Philip Halling, some rights reserved.
Berrow is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish church: St Faith
Parish registers begin: 1698
Parishes adjacent to Berrow
- Redmarley D’Abitot
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Berrow, a parish in Upton-on-Severn district, Worcester; 5½ miles SW of Upton r. station, and 7 W of Tewkesbury. It has a post office under Ledbury. Acres, 2,180. Real property, £3,069. Pop., 453. Houses, 94. The property is much subdivided. The parish is a meet for the Ledbury hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £100. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church is very good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Berrow, a parish in a detached portion of the lower division of the hund. of Oswaldslow, union of Upton-upon-Severn, county of Worcester, situated in the hund. of Pershore; 5½ miles south-west of Upton-upon-Severn, and about 8 west of the Birmingham and Gloucester railway. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; valued at £7 18s. 4d., and in the parliamentary returns at £45; gross income £84; in the patronage of the dean and chapter of Worcester. Charities connected with the parish produce £11 13s. per annum. Pop., in 1801, 397; in 1831, 507. Houses 90. Acres 1,940. A.P. £2,279. Poor rates, in 1837, £177.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Berrow church viewed from the south St Faith’s church viewed from the footpath to the south of Berrow. The line of the Malvern Hills can be seen in the background. The copyright on this image is owned by Philip Halling and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Berrow, 5 miles S.W. Upton-upon-Seven. P. 480
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Berrow – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 5 miles S.W. from Upton on Severn, and 109 from London; containing 77 inhabited houses. It is a perpetual curacy; Rev. G. Wallett, incumbent; in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. – Population, 1801, 394 – 1811, 470 – 1821, 464.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Murder, Berrow Church Near the north door of Berrow church there is this stone. It reads Under the stone beneath this tablet lie the remains of Edward Gummary, Elizabeth his wife and Ann their daughter, who were cruelly murdered at the cottage known as the Murder House in the parish of Berrow on the night of May 7th 1780. For more see: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~gomery/murder.html , but be warned the details are rather gruesome! The copyright on this image is owned by Bob Embleton and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.
Family History Links
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Upton upon Severn
- Probate Court: Court of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Upton upon Severn
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury