Hanley Castle Worcestershire Littleburys Directory 1879

Hanley Castle is an extensive parish and pleasant village on the west bank of the Severn, 1½ miles N.W. of Upton, 5 S.E. of Great Malvern, and 8½ S. of Worcester; is in the western division of the county and hundred of Lower Pershore; union, petty sessional division, highway, and polling district of Upton-on-Severn; county court district of Malvern; annual rateable value, £18,611; area of parish, 5,681 acres; population in 1861, 1,733; in 1871, 2,167, with 417 inhabited houses, and 444 families or separate occupiers. The healthy situation of this parish is assigned as the cause of the increase of population. Sir Edmund Anthony Harley Lechmere, Bart., M.P., and John Vincent Hornyold, Esq., D.L., are the principal landowners; the latter is also lord of the manor. The soil is loam, clay, and gravel; subsoil, clay and marl; chief crops, wheat, barley, and beans. This parish took its name from a castle belonging to the Beauchamps in the Middle Ages; some traces of its moat may yet be seen near the house now occupied by Mr. Gee. It was the seat of the Le De Spencers, Earls of Gloucester and the Beauchamps, Earls of Warwick, lords of all Malvern chase. Richard Beauchamp, Duke of Warwick, King of the island of Wight, and last of that noble race, was born here in 1424. He died in 1445, and was buried in Tewkesbury abbey. The castle was granted to John Hornyold, Esq., of Standon and Blackmore, ancestor of the present owner, in the second year of Queen Elizabeth’s reign. Hanley is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Upton; living, a vicarage, value £680, with residence; patron, Sir Edmund A.H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P.; vicar, Rev. Edward Whitmore Isaac, M.A., Oriel College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1879. The church (St. Mary’s) is partly built of brick, has two chancels or chapels, the one being a mortuary for the Hornyolds, and the other for the Lechmeres; a central tower, and nave divided longitudinally into two aisles by obtuse arches, resting on circular and octagonal piers. There is a Norman doorway in the south wall. The nave dates from the 14th century, and the tower 1674. The church was restored in 1858, at a cost of about £2,000, by Sir Edmund A. H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P., and reopened on the occasion of his bringing home his bride. The east window is a memorial to the late Sir Edmund Hungerford Lechmere, Bart. There are many beautiful painted windows and other interesting objects in the church. St. Gabriel’s Chapel-of-Ease at Hanley green was erected at the cost of Samuel J. Heathcote-Martin, Esq., late of Liverpool, on a site given by Sir Edmund A. H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P. The foundation-stone was laid by Miss Lechmere, February 20th, 1872, and the building was consecrated in April 1873. It is built of Cradley stone faced with Bath stone, in the Early English style of architecture after designs by the late Sir George Gilbert Scott, R.A. It consists of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch, and tower, surmounted by a handsome spire of Bath stone, containing a peal of six bells. The lower stage of the tower opens to the chancel and north aisle, and serves as vestry and organ chamber. The nave is separated from the aisles by arcades of plain chamfered arches, resting upon round and octagonal piers. The nave roof is of original design and admirable construction. The beautiful reredos was the gift of Sir Edmund Lechmere, Bart., M.P. The east window was filled with stained glass in 1878 by S. J. Heathcote-Martin, Esq. The figures represent “ Our Lord as the Good Shepherd,” with the “Four Evangelists,” beneath which are the “Holy Family at Bethlehem,” “Our Lord’s Baptism,” “The Crucifixion,” “The Resurrection,” and “The Ascension.” The church is lighted by four handsome brass coronas, three in the nave and one in the chancel. A fine-toned organ has been added through the voluntary subscriptions of the parishioners. The church contains 420 sittings, all of which are free. The porch is of open timber-work, and at the entrance to the churchyard is a picturesque lych-gate. A handsome chapel, adjoining the mansion of Rhydd court, has been erected by Sir Edmund A. H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P. It was licensed by the Bishop for Divine service, October 2nd, 1865. The Roman Catholic chapel in Blackmore park was built at the expense of John Vincent Hornyold, Esq., D.L., and has schools in connection supported by him. There is also a private chapel, adjoining the mansion, erected in 1876. A monastery for Redemptorists was opened in 1846, which, with school and church, cost £20,000. It was opened by Dr. Wiseman, but the monastery has been discontinued. The Grammar school (foundation unknown) has been remodelled, and was reopened in 1868 according to a scheme of the Endowed Schools Commission, and great care has been taken by the feoffees that the course of instruction should be suited to the wants of the district. The school premises, which are near the church, have been lately extended by the addition of handsome and convenient new schools and dormitories. The present head master is the Rev. Henry Lister, 1st B.A. (London), Fellow of the College of Preceptors, and late head master of Merston House School, Seaforth, Liverpool, who receives about 30 boarders. The national schools are at Church end and Hanley green. There are a few charities belonging to the parish, also benefit societies, clubs, the allotment system, &c. The seats in this parish are particularly deserving notice both from their pleasant situation and their fertile and well-cultivated domains. Rhydd Court, the seat of Sir Edmund Anthony Harley Lechmere, Bart., M.P., D.L., commands very beautiful views of the Severn, and is surrounded by charming private grounds. The ancient residence of the Lechmere family, which came over with William the Conqueror, was at Severn End, a fine old mansion, with many memorials of the olden time of the greatest possible interest. Blackmore Park, the seat of John Vincent Hornyold, Esq., J.P., D.L., is a handsome mansion standing in a noble park midway between the Malvern hills and the river Severn. J. V. Hornyold, Esq., is the lineal descendant of John Hornyold, of Standon, in the county of Hertford, who received the grant of the manor of Hanley at the hands of Queen Elizabeth. Hanley Castle, now the property of Sir Edmund A. H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P., is occupied by Thomas Gee, Esq. Hanley Hall, the residence of Thomas William Davis, Esq., is on the site of the house of the forest-keeper, when this parish as part of the ancient “chase” of Malvern. Here was a sessions room for the trial of offences committed in the forest. In various parts of the house may be seen some fine specimens of old oak wainscoting. The notorious Bishop Bonner, whose persecutions in the reign of Mary have covered his name in shame, was born in this parish. Malvern Wells is chiefly in this parish, but the Directory will be found with the Malverns. Blackmore End is a hamlet 3 miles N.W. of Hanley church, and nearly 2 S.E. of Great Malvern; Robert’s End is about the centre of the parish; Gilbert’s End is half a mile W.; Hanley Quay is on the Severn, where there is a wharf. There is a ferry over the Severn at the Rhydd, 2 miles N. of Hanley.

POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Post and telegraph office, Stephen Wagstaff, Sub-Postmaster. Letters are received from Worcester (via Upton-on-Severn), the delivery commences at 7.30 a.m.; despatched at 5.5 p.m. on week-days and 12.25 p.m. on Sundays. Money-order and post-office savings bank business transacted from 9 a.m. till 4.50 p.m. The letter-box, Hanley green, is cleared at 4.35 p.m. on week-days and 11 50 a.m. on Sundays. Post town, Worcester.

Parish Church (St. Mary’s). – Rev. Edward Whitmore Isaac, M.A., Vicar; Rev. Thomas William Wood, K.C.L., Curate; Sir Edmund A. H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P., and Mr. John Lane, Churchwardens; John Fleet, Parish Clerk. St. Gabriel’s Chapel-of-Ease. – (Clergy same as at the Parish Church) – Francis Knipe, Esq., Churchwarden; Mr. Thomas J. Bovington, Organist; Henry Lippett, Sexton.

Roman Catholic Chapel. – Rev. Priest.

Grammar School. – The Lord Bishop of Worcester, Visitor; The Earl Beauchamp, Sir E. A. H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P. (Chairman), Rev. F. Hopkinson, LL.D., The Hon. John S. Pakington, G. E. Martin, Esq., and Rev. H. W. Coventry, Feoffees; Rev. Henry Lister, B.A., F.C.P., Head Master.

Hanley Castle National (or Lower) School, Church end. – Mr. Edwin Weatherby, Master; Mrs. Weatherby, Mistress.

St. Gabriel’s School (boys and girls), Hanley green. – Mrs. R. M. Edgecombe, Mistress.

Roman Catholic School (boys and girls). – Mrs. M.A. Graty, Mistress.

Working-Men’s Institute, Quay. – Thomas Hill, Manager.

Malvern Wells Station (Midland Railway). – Alfred William Spriggs, Station Master.

Carriers to Worcester. – Frank Scrivens on Wednesdays and Saturdays, returning from the Plough Inn, Silver street, at 3.30 p.m.; John Kent on Wednesdays and Saturdays, returning from the Pheasant Inn, New street, at 3.30 p.m.

Assistant Overseer. – Mr. John Kings, Robert’s end.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Barber Mr. John, Rose villa, Gilbert’s end

Cole the Misses, Laurel cottage

Davis Thomas William, Esq., Hanley hall

Dee Mrs., Park cottage, Church end

Gee Thomas, Esq., Hanley castle

Hardinge Capt. T. S. Walmer cottage

Hastings Mrs., The Grange

Haynes Miss, Laurel cottage

Hornyold John Vincent, Esq., J.P., D.L., Blackmore park

Hornyold Thomas Charles Gandolfi, Esq., J.P., D.L., Blackmore park

Hunter Mrs. M. A., Catterall

Hurst Mr. John Baptist, Church end

Isaac Rev. Edward Whitmore, M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage

Johnson Mrs., Severn end

Knipe F., Esq., Bourne villa, Robert’s end

Lechmere Sire Edmund Anthony Harley, Bart., M.P., J.P., D.L., Rhydd court; and at 13 Bolton row, Mayfair, London, W., and Charlton club, Pall Mall, S.W.

Lechmere The Misses, Church end

Lewis Mrs., Western villa

Lister Rev. Henry, B.A., F.C.P., Grammar school

Medley Alfred Kossuth, Esq., Yew-tree ho.

Phillips Mr. John, Quay lane

Spencer Mr. William, Burley house

Ward Richard, Esq., Mortimer lodge

West Miss, Gilbert’s end

Wheeler Mrs. and Miss, Gothic cottage

Willan Henry, Esq., J.P., Albion lodge

Wood Rev. Thomas William, K.C.L. (Curate of Hanley Castle, and domestic chaplain to Sir Edmund A. H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P.), Priestfield

AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.

Bailey James, Herefordshire House, The Wyche

Bailey John, tailor & draper, Hanley green

Barber George, shopkeeper, Blackmore end

Barber John, farmer, Gilbert’s end

Bennett William, farmer, North end

Betteridge James, farmer, The Balcony

Betteridge Joseph, farmer, Common farm (postal address – Malvern Wells, R.S.O.)

Bibbs John, sanitary inspector (under Upton rural authority), The Quay

Bladder William, cottage farmer

Blake Harry, steward and sub-agent to Sir Edmund A. H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P., The Cottage

Blain Charles, mkt. gardener, Quay

Brown Mrs. H., farmer, Church end

Brown Thomas, farmer

Burgess William, manufacturer of the “Challenge” pheasant and poultry food; patentee and inventor of the springless “Eclipse” alarm gun, all kinds of wire and other netting, &c., &c., Berry lodge. Postal address – Malvern Wells (see Malvern advts. Page 17)

Cole Edwin, farmer, Quakers’ farm

Davis Henry, wheelwright and spring trap builder, Cross hands

Davis Thomas Wm., farmer, Hanley hall

Dickson W., greengrocer, St. Gabriel’s ter.

Dymock A., lodging ho., The Hawthorns

Edgecombe Charles, nurseryman and gardener, Coney-croft

Edgecombe Mrs. R. M., mistress of St. Gabriel’s school, Hanley green

Edmunds J., boot and shoe ma., Quay lane

Edwards – , farm bailiff to J. V. Hornyold, Esq., D.L., Blackmore park

Fleet J., builder & parish clerk, Church end

Foster Frederick , farmer, Herbert’s farm

Foster John, farmer, Gilbert’s end

Ganderton George, wheelwright and carpenter, Robert’s end

Gilbert S. Francis, farmer, Brick barns

Graty Mrs. Mary Ann, mistress of Roman Catholic school

Graty Wm., hydraulic engineer, machinist, brassfounder, &c.; and at Edith walk, Gt. Malvern (see Malvern advts. P. 20)

Gregory Edwin, shopkeeper, Hanley green

Grundy Thomas, farmer, Blackmore end

Guilding John, farmer, Sink farm

Guilding Lansdowne, fmr., Merryvale farm

Hanley Castle Grammar School. – Rev. Henry Lister, B.A., F.C.P., Head Master

Hill Thomas, boot and shoe maker, and manager of the working-men’s institute, Quay lane

Hirons Wm., farmer, Parsonage farm

Hughes Mrs., farmer, North end

Jones Mrs. Caroline, beer retailer (Ewe and Lamb), Hanley green

Jones Henry, butcher, Hanley green

Jones Mrs. Henry, timer dlr., Hanley gr.

Kent John, carrier, Hanley green

King Rupert, plumber, &c., Hanley green

Kings John, grocer, provision dealer, and assistant overseer, St. Gabriel’s house

Knowles William, builder, &c.; and at Knightwick, near Worcester

Lane John, farmer, Old Hills farm

Lock George, farmer, The Common

Pittway John, wheelwright, Robert’s end

Pope Edmund, farmer, Forty green

Reynolds Thomas, blacksmith, church end

Reynolds William, carpenter and shopkeeper, Gilbert’s end

Robbins Robert, head gardener for sir Edmund Lechmere, Bart., M.P., Rhydd Court gardens

Sanders Benjamin, farmer, Holloway farm

Sanders Joseph, farmer, Horton manor

Scrivens Frank, carrier and cottage farmer, Gilbert’s end

Smith Francis Peters, farmer, Lodge farm

Smith Henry, head gamekeeper to Sir Edmund Lechmere, Bart., M.P.

Spriggs Alfred William, station master, Midland station, Malvern Wells

Stamford William, watch and clock mkr., 2 Catterall cottages

Stephens Joseph, road surveyor, and farmer, The Elms

Thomas R. W., farmer, Gilbert’s end

Tomkins H., Three Kings Inn, Church end

Tomlinson Benjamin John, Swan Inn, and farmer, Hanley green

Tomlinson John, farmer, Turner’s farm

Vivien Thomas, bricklayer, Meerbrook

Wagstaff Stephen, sub-postmaster, family grocer, provision dealer, corn flour, and meal factor, stationer, and agent for W. & A. Gilbey’s wines and spirits, Post and telegraph office

Walker James, farmer, Bower farm

Watkins Henry, blacksmith, Robert’s end

Watkins Mrs. J., blacksmith, Gilbert’s end

Weatherby Edwin, master of Hanley national school, Church end

Weaver Robert, miller, Burley

Webb James, builder, Meerbrook

West William, grocer, provision dealer, and baker, Hanley green

White Richard, coal merchant, hay and straw dealer, and farmer, Church end

White Thomas, farmer, Pool house

Wild John, farmer, Ivy house

Willis James, market gardener, Church end

Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s