Hallow is a chapelry of Grimley Ancient Parish in Worcestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Broadheath, South Hallow, Shoulton, and North Hallow.
Parish registers begin: 1583
Nonconformists include: Countess of Huntingdon Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Hallow
- Worcester St Clement
- Worcester St John the Baptist, Bedwardine
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Hallow – a township in the parish of Grimley, and hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 3 miles N.N.E. from Worcester, and 113 from London; containing 221 inhabited houses. It has a neat chapel, of Norman architecture, annexed to Grimley. Population, 1801, 878 – 1811, 885 – 1821, 1081.
Hallow-Park, in the above township, the residence of Samuel Wall, Esq. The house stands upon an eminence on the banks of the river Severn, and commands an extensive prospect. In the park is a purgative chalybeate spring.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Hallow Laird Description of Worcestershire 1814
Hallow village is about one mile and a half north-west from Worcester, on the bank of Severn, and to the right of the Tenbury road. It stands on a fine salubrious eminence gradually rising from the river, and the Villa of Hallow is happily situated on the most commanding part of that eminence. To describe the richness of the surrounding scenery is impossible, enlivened as it is by the moving picture of the river, wafting all the comforts and luxuries of foreign climes to the interior of our fertile plains, and, in return, transporting their produce, and giving employment to the active arm of honest industry. The Cotswould and Breedon hills, in front, fade into the distance, whilst their bright purple gives a bold relief to the Gothic turrets of the cathedral, and the elegant spires of the various churches. To the north-east, the view extends into Warwickshire; and from the back of the house, Clee and Clent raise their heads in majesty: but the most pleasant prospect is down the vale of Severn, backed to the right by Malvern’s distant hills. Though the house had been for along time untenanted, yet the pleasure grounds which had originally been well disposed, are still kept in excellent order, and the plantations, now arrived at maturity, are judiciously intersected with breaks, which, from all sides, direct the eye to the most picturesque points of view. The grounds have long been famous for possessing a purgative chalybeate spring, which, though never much in fashion, has yet been of considerable service to many individuals, but as it is not superior in efficacy to the waters of Cheltenham, though of the same qualities, it is not now likely to attract attention, particularly being in the immediate vicinity of resorts already established.
Thorngrove is about one mile further; it was formerly the residence of William Cross, Esq.; afterwards the property of Mr. Lamotte; and has lately been purchased by Monsieur Lucien Buonaparte: thus exhibiting a silent, yet impressive lesson to mankind, in affording a peaceful and secure asylum to the brother of him who affects to rule the universe; of him who vainly threatens destruction to that small spot, where alone liberty reigns, and which alone could give security even to the brother of the usurper. Events, thus passing before our eyes, are seldom considered of any curious importance; but the page of future history will astonish succeeding generations in recording these particulars ; and mankind will scarcely believe that the brother of the Emperor of France, the arbiter of the fate of a whole continent, should yet seek protection from those whom that emperor in his vain glory had sworn to destroy, should there seek comfort in an English villa, whilst half the palaces, and half the thrones, of Europe awaited his choice. Nor is it less curious in looking over the list of game certificates for the last year, to see the name of Monsieur Lucien Bonaparte amongst the number; one brother thus licensed to shoot upon the land, whilst we refuse permissions to the other to fire upon the sea.
The house itself, which is in a very pleasing, yet plain style of architecture, stands upon an eminence, to the left of, and at some distance from, the high-road; its white front well contrasting with the extensive lawn and serpentine lake, relieved on each side by screens of young plantations, and backed by the Abberley hills.
Source: A Topographical and Historical Description of the County of Worcester, by Mr. Laird. Printed for Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row; and George Cowie and Co. successors to Vernor, Hood, and Sharp, 31, Poultry, London. Printed circa 1814.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Martley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Worcester
- Poor Law Union: Martley
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury