Alternative names: Albrighton near Wolverhampton
Albrighton (near Shifnal) is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Parish church: St. Mary Magdelene
Parish registers begin: 1555
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
Parishes adjacent to Albrighton
- Tettenhall Regis
Albrighton (Shifnal) The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Albrighton, a parish, formerly a market-town, in the Shiffnall division of the hund. of Brimstree, union of Shiffnall, Shropshire; 5 miles south- east by east from Shiffnall. Living, a vicarage in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Lichfield; in the peculiar jurisdiction of the dean of Lichfield; rated at £5 10s.; gross income £651. Alternate patrons, the Company Of Haberdashers and the governors of Christ’s hospital, London. Fairs for cattle, sheep, and swine, are held here on the first Monday in March, 23d May, and last Monday in June. Charities of about £64 yearly, are distributed to the poor of this parish. Pop., in 1801, 901; in 1831, 1,054. Houses 211. Acres 2,970. A. P. £6,357. Poor rates, in 1837, £289.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Albrighton Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Albrighton, 5 miles S.E. Shiffnall. P. 1058.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Albrighton (near Shifnal) Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Albrighton. A parish in the Shiffnall division of the hundred of Brimstry. 4 ½ miles south-east of Shiffnall. A vicarage in charge, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Newport, and archdeaconry of Salop. 198 houses, 968 inhabitants. Fairs, March 5, May 23, July 18, Nov. 9, for horned cattle, sheep and hogs. A good deal of business is done at these fairs.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Albrighton Parish Registers
Albrighton near Wolverhampton Parish Registers 1555-1812
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. III (1901)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
Albrighton (Shifnal) Shropshire Parish Documents 1902
Documents1, etc. in the custody of the Parish Council. – Kept by the Clerk of the Parish Council in an iron safe at his house, viz:-
- Parish Council Minute Book.
- Parish Meeting Minute Book.
- Account Book.
- Declaration Book.
- Attendance Book.
- Treasurer’s Bond.
Documents, etc. in the custody of the vicar. – The following Documents etc. are kept in safes in the Vestry, viz:-
- General Register, 1555 – 1653 (good state of preservation and re-bound by Vicar).
- General Register, 1660 – 1725. This Register contains an entry of the Burial of the only Duke of Shrewsbury, viz., the 23rd February, 1717.
- General Register, 1726 – 1780 (but Marriages only to 1753).
- Register of Baptisms and Burials, 1780 to the end of 1812
- Register of Baptisms 1813 – 1841
- Register of Baptisms 1841 – 1868
- Register of Baptisms 1868 – in use.
- Register of Burials, 1813 – 1857
- Register of Burials 1857 – in use.
- Register of Marriages 1754 – 1812.
- Register of Marriages 1813 – 1837
- Register of Marriages 1837 – in use.
- Book of Corporation Records, including a copy of the Charter, dated 17th year of reign of Chas. II.
- Small Map of new Road from Tong.
- Churchwardens’ and Overseers’ Account Book, 1821 – 1837.
- Receipt and payment Book, dated 1837, containing a few entries only.
- Rate Book, dated 1838.
- Register of Parish Apprentices, 1811 – 1835.
- Eighteen Old Deeds relating to the Chapman, Bromley, Waltho, and Scott Charities. (the more recent Deeds were stated to be in the custody of Dr. Lamb as Trustee (Parochial Charities.)
- Cosford Bridge Agreement.
- Map showing boundary between the parishes of Albrighton and Patshull, together with Commissioners’ Award, dated 1847.
- Miscellaneous Documents.
- Tithe Map and Tithe Apportionment, dated 16th March, 1850.
The following list of Documents, etc., was supplied by the Clerk of the Parish Council, and stated to be in the custody of Dr. B. W. Lamb, as sole Trustee of the charities, and kept by him in an iron safe:-
(Note – We have been informed that since the inspection of these Documents the Charity Commissioners have increased the number of Trustees to five).
- Deed of Bargain and Sale of Land, dated 1681
- Deed of Trust, purchase of Land dated 1682
- Deed of Trust dated 1713
- Deed of Trust dated 1736
- Lease to Invest dated 1772
- Deed of Exchange dated 1772
- Deed of Trust, Poor Land dated 1772
- Deed to Invest dated 1772
- Lease dated 11th February, 1791
- Deed of Trust dated 1796
- Deed of Trust dated 18th February, 1797
- Deed of Trust dated 24th June, 1848
- Deed of Trust dated 12th July, 1865
- Deed of Trust dated 9th August, 1887
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Shifnal
- Probate Court: Court of the Royal Peculiar of St Mary Shrewsbury
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Shifnal
- Poor Law Union: Shifnal
- Hundred: Brimstree
- Province: Canterbury
- Shropshire Parish Documents published 1902. A report of the Inspection of Parish Documents made to Salop County Council under section 17 of the Local Government Act 1894. Note: The location of the documents listed in this transcription are as cited in the book published in 1902 and should be used as a guide only. It should not be assumed that the documents are still kept at the stated location. Interested parties should perhaps contact Shropshire records office to ascertain the documents current whereabouts. ↩