Alberbury, Shropshire Family History Guide

Alberbury Church
Alberbury Church. The copyright on this image is owned by John Firth and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

Alberbury, locally pronounced “Obberbury”, is a parish situate nine miles west from Shrewsbury, in the diocese of Hereford, archdeaconry of Ludlow, and rural deanery of Pontesbury. It lies mainly in the Shropshire hundred of Ford, but partly in the Deythur and Caurse hundreds of Montgomeryshire. It comprises Loton Park and the townships of Alberbury, Eyton, Little Shrawardine, Rowton, and Amaston in Salop, and Bauseley, Coedway, and Crewe Green in Montgomeryshire. Criggion and Great Wollaston, both formerly parts of Alberbury, have been cut off from it and made into separate parishes. The parish of Alberbury contains an area of 9,599 acres. The population in 1871 was 1661; in 1801 it was 794.

Source: Shropshire Parish registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. VI (1902). Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society.

Alternative names: Abberbury

Parish church: St Michael and All Angels

Parish registers begin: 1564

Nonconformists include: Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Alberbury

  • Cardeston
  • Shrawardine
  • Worthen
  • Ford
  • Westbury
  • Great Wollaston
  • Melverley
  • Middletown
  • Criggion
  • Bausley
  • Rhos-goch
  • Uppington

Historical Descriptions

Alberbury

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Abberbury or Alberbury, 8¼ miles W. Shrewsbury. P. 1861.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Alberbury or Abberbury, a parish comprising the townships of Cruggion, Middleton, and Uppington, in the hund, of Cawrse, and the township of Bausley in the hund, of Deythur, county of Montgomery; and the townships of Alderbury, Benthal with Shrswardine, Eyton, Rowton with Amaston, and Wollaston, in the hund. of Ford, county of Salop. The parish is in the union of Atcham, and 8¼ miles west by north of Shrewsbury, on the road to Llanfyllin. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £5 10s., and in the parliamentary returns at £136; gross income £187- It is in the patronage of All Souls’ college, Oxford. Bequests to the amount of about £14 yearly have been left to the poor of this parish. Pop. of the parish, in 1801, 1,204; in 1831, 1,799. Houses 472. That portion of the parish, which is in the county of Salop, comprehends 6,040 acres. A. P. £12,562. Poor rates, in 1837, £319. Tanner says: “Warine, the sheriff of Sbropshire, and a great warrior against the Welsh, founded near this place the New Abbey for Black monks of the order of Grandmorst in Limosin, temp. Hen. I. It was suppressed among the alien priories, and bestowed by King Henry VI., ann. reg. 19. at the request of Henry Chichele, archbishop of Canterbury, on All Souls’ college in Oxford.” Some vestiges of this building may still be traced. Glyn, a hamlet in this parish, was the birth-place of old Parr. His cottage is still standing, and has undergone little alteration since the time he lived in it.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

England and Wales Delineated Thomas Dugdale 1835

Abberbury or Alberbury, a parish and township, partly in the hundred of Cawrse and Deythur, in the county of Montgomery, and partly in that of Ford, in the county of Salop. Warine, sheriff of this county in the reign of Henry I., founded an abbey for black monks, a cell to Guardmont, in Limosin, which, at the suppression of alien priories was bestowed by Henry VI., upon the college founded by Archbishop Chiechley. Benthall, Eyton, Rowton, Amaston, and Wollaston, are all townships of this parish. At Glyn, in this parish, is the celebrated Old Parr’s cottage, which has undergone but little alteration since his time; it is timber-framed, rare, and picturesque, within view of Rodney’s Pillar on Bredden Hill, in Montgomeryshire. In Wollaston Chapel is a brass plate, with his portrait thus inscribed: “The old, old, very old man, Thomas Parr, was born at the Glyn, in the township of Wennington, within the chapelry of Great Wollaston, and parish of Alberbury, in the county of Salop, in 1483. He lived in the reigns of ten kings and queens of England, viz. King Edward IV., King Edward V., King Richard III., King Henry VII., King Henry VIII., King Edward VI., Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth, King James I., and Charles I.; he died in London, (sixteen years after his presentation to King Charles,) on the 13th of November, 1635, and was buried in Westminster Abbey, on the 15th of the same month, aged one hundred and fifty-two years and nine months. At the age of one hundred and five, he did penance in the church of Alberbury, for criminal connexion with Catherine Milton, by whom he had offspring.”

Source: England and Wales Delineated by Thomas Dugdale assisted by William Burnett; published by Tallis & Co., Green Arbour Court, Old Bailey, 1835.

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Alberbury. A parish partly in the Ford division of the hundred of Ford, partly in Montgomeryshire. A vicarage discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Pontesbury, and archdeaconry of Salop. The Shropshire part contains 189 houses, 1113 inhabitants. 8 miles west of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Loton Hall Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Loton Park
Loton Park country house Some sources date this from the 14th century, another suggests it was built in 1620. The copyright on this image is owned by Peter Craine and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

Loton Hall. In the hundred of Ford, near Alberbury. 9 miles west of Shrewsbury. The seat of Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Amaston

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Amaston See Rowton

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Amaston. A township in the parish of Alberbury, and in the Ford division of the hundred of Ford. 49 houses, 227 inhabitants.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Bauseley

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Bausley; or Baulsley, Lower and Upper. A township in the parish of Alberbury, and in the Ford division of the hundred of Ford. 11 ½ miles west of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Benthall

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Benthall and Shrawardine, 2¾ m. E.S.E. and included in Abberbury

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Benthall. A township in the parish of Alberbury, and in the Ford division of the hundred of Ford. 6 houses, 48 inhabitants. 6 miles west of Shrewsbury

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Braggington

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Braggington. A township in the parish of Alberbury, and in the Ford division of the hundred of Ford. 11 miles west of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Bulthy

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Bulthy; or Bwlthau. A township in the parish of Alberbury, and in the Ford division of the hundred of Ford. 12 miles west of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Criggion

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Creggeon or Crigion. A township in the parish of Alberbury, and in the Ford division of the hundred of Ford. 12 miles west of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Eyton

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Eyton, a township in Alberbury parish, Salop; near the river Severn, 7 ½ miles WNW of Shrewsbury. Pop., 65.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

EYTON, a township, in the parish of Abberbury, union of Atcham, hundred of Ford, S. division of Salop, 7 miles (W.) from Shrewsbury.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Eyton. A township in the parish of Alberbury, and in the Ford division of the hundred of Ford. 15 houses, 65 inhabitants. 7 miles west of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Ford

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Ford. A township in the parish of Alberbury, and in the Ford division of the hundred of Ford.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Hall Mill

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Hall Mill. A township in the parish of Alberbury, and in to Ford division of the hundred of Ford.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Rowton

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Rowton. A township in the parish of Alberbury, and in the Ford division of the hundred of Ford. 7 miles west of Shrewsbury. Rowton and Amaston contain 47 houses, 227 inhabitants.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Wollaston

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Great Wollaston; or Woolaston. A township in the parish of Alberbury, and in the Ford division of the hundred of Ford, a chapel to Alberbury, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Pontesbury, and archdeaconry of Salop. 11 miles west of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Alberbury Parish Registers

Alberbury Parish Registers Part I 1564 to 1733

About the Registers

Alberbury Parish Registers Part I 1564 to 1733

Alberbury Parish Registers Part II 1733 to 1812

Shropshire Parish registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. VII (1902)

Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society

General editor; W.P.W. Phillimore

Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

Alberbury Parish Registers Part II 1733 to 1812

Alberbury Shropshire Parish Documents 1902

Documents in the custody of the Parish Council. – Kept at the Clerk’s house – no receptacle, viz:-

Parish Council Minute Book.

Cheque Book.

Treasurer’s Book, i.e., Pass Book.

Receipt and Payment Book.

Contribution Order Book.

Documents in the custody of the Vicar. – The following are kept in a chest at the Vicarage, viz:-

General Register, 1564 – 1634.

General Register. 1634 – 1661.

General Register, 1661 – 1706.

General Register, 1707 – 1735.

General Register, 1735 – 1754, then of Baptisms and Burials only to 1756.

Register containing Marriages, 1740-1752 & Burials, 1740-1779

Register containing Marriages, 1752-1754 & Baptisms, 1756-1775.

Register of Baptisms, 1776-1812.

Register of Banns and Marriages, 1754-1767

Register of Banns and Marriages, 1767-1812.

Register of Banns, 1824-1850.

Vestry Minute Book, 1886-1894.

Churchwardens’ Account Book, 1656 – 1675.

Churchwardens’ Account Book, 1679 – 1702

Churchwardens’ Account Book, 1757 – 1784.

Churchwardens’ Account Book, 1773 – 1810.

Churchwardens’ Account Book, 1809 – 1844.

Assessment of Parish for Church purposes. – Upper Quarter, dated 1841.

Assessment of Parrish for Church purposes. – Lower Quarter, dated 1841.

Book of Accounts of the distribution of various moneys amongst the poor of the Parish, 1767-1847.

Various Maps – Ordnance Survey.

Award as to the boundary of the Parish of Ford, dated 29th December, 1846.

Bausley Enclosure Award, dated 2nd June, 1835

Tithe Maps and Awards, viz:-

Bausley dated 7th August, 1841

Bulthy dated 1st January, 1841

Cardeston dated 6th March, 1849

Criggion dated 7th March, 1843

Lower Quarter of Alberbury dated 29th September, 1843

Middleton dated 28th June, 1850

Trefnant dated 31st January, 1844

Uppington dated 15th March, 1845

Winnington dated 3rd April, 1844

Wollaston dated 21st December, 1848

Tracing of Map of Parish of Alberbury.

Office Copy of Order of Exchange of Lands in the township of Bausley and Tithe Rent Charge issuing out of lands in the township of Eyton, made between The Rev. G. F. Slade, Clerk, and All Souls College, Oxford.

Conveyance, dated 12th September, 1845, of a School site at Alberbury, made between The Rev. R. W. Huntly, Vicar of Alberbury, and The Wardens and Fellows of All Souls, Oxford.

Faculty for re-seating and re-flooring the Nave of Alberbury Church, dated 13th July, 1871

Miscellaneous papers, Apprenticeship Indentures. &c., & c.

The following are kept in a safe at the Vicarage viz:-

Register of Baptisms, 1813 – 1857

Register of Baptisms, 1857 – in use.

Register of Marriages, 1813 – 1857

Register of Marriages, 1837 – in use.

Register of Burials, 1813 – 1851

Register of Burials, 1851 – in use.

Churchwardens Account and Vestry Minute Book, 1843 – in use.

Source: Shropshire Parish Documents published 1902.  A report of the Inspection of Parish Documents made to Salop County Council under section 17 of the Local Government Act 1894.  Note: The location of the documents listed in this transcription are as cited in the book published in 1902 and should be used as a guide only. It should not be assumed that the documents are still kept at the stated location.  Interested parties should perhaps contact Shropshire records office to ascertain the documents current whereabouts.

Directories

Alberbury Kellys Shropshire Directory 1863

Alberbury Cassey Directory of Shropshire 1875

Alberbury Cassey Directory of Shropshire 1871

Maps

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Atcham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Pontesbury
  • Poor Law Union: Atcham
  • Hundred: Ford
  • Province: Canterbury
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s