West Hendred is an Ancient Parish in the county of Berkshire.
Other places in the parish include: East Ginge and Sparsholt Court.
Parish registers begin: 1558
Parishes adjacent to West Hendred
- West Ilsley
- East Lockinge
- West Hanney
- East Hendred
- Sutton Courtenay
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HENDRED (WEST or LITTLE), a parish in Wantage district, Berks; on a small affluent of the river Thames, 3 miles SW by S of Steventon r. station, and 3¼ E of Wantage. It includes the tythings of East Ginge and Sparsholt Court; and its post town is East Hendred under Wantage. Acres, 1,973. Real property, £3,078. Pop., 351. Houses, 79. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £751. Patron, Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The church has an embattled tower, and is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Hendred (West), 2½ m. E. Wantage. P. 320.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Marriages at West Hendred 1558-1837
- County: Berkshire
- Civil Registration District: Wantage
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
- Diocese: Post-1835 – Oxford, Pre-1836 – Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Abingdon
- Poor Law Union: Wantage
- Hundred: Wantage
- Province: Canterbury