Atherstone is an Ecclesiastical Parish and a market town in the county of Warwickshire, created in 1825 from Mancetter Ancient Parish.
Parish church: St Mary
Parish registers begin: 1825
Nonconformists include: General Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Atherstone
Fairs & Markets
April 7, for horses, Cows, and sheep; July 18, a holiday fair only; September 19, for horses, Cows, and considerable for Cheese; December 4, for horses and fat cattle.
Market – Tuesday
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Atherstone, anciently Adrestone, and Edrestone, a market-town in the parish of Mancetter, union of Atherstone, county of Warwick; 107 miles north-west from London, by Coventry; 23 north by east from Warwick; and 14 from Coventry station on the London and Birmingham railway. It stands on the Roman Watling-street, at the northern extremity of the forest of Arden, on the road from London to Derby, and near the river Anker. This is a chapelry to the parish of Mancetter, and the living is a perpetual curacy, formerly in the archd. of Coventry and dio. of Lichfield and Coventry, now in the dio. of Worcester. It is rated at £11 5s., and in the parliamentary returns at £109; average income, in 1833, £98. Patron, the vicar of Mancetter. The chapel, originally belonging to the Augustin priory, is an ancient structure of the time of Richard II.; but its original character has been greatly altered by modern additions. The Unitarians, Independents, and Methodists, have places of worship here. The Independent church was formed in 1790. A free grammar-school was founded here, in 1573, by Sir William Devereux and others; it is endowed with land, producing upwards of £288 per annum. There is also an English school, endowed with about £40 per annum, at which above 100 children were educated in 1834. There are several other daily schools, and some large Sunday schools. Other charities connected with the township produce upwards of £250 per annum. Here also is a well-established dispensary, a subscription library and news-room, and an infant-school. The Atherstone poor law union comprehends 14 parishes, embracing a district of 34 square miles, and containing a population returned in 1831 at 9,489. The average annual expenditure on the poor of this district, during the three years preceding the formation of the union, was £5,332. Expenditure, in 1838, £3,482. “In the 49th of Edward III.,” says Tanner, “Ralph Lord Basset of Draiton, gave land whereon to build a church and habitation in this place, for friars here-mites of St Austin, which was shortly after done; and these mendicants continued here till the general dissolution, when the friary, and all that belonged to it, (being valued but at £1 10s. 2d. per annum,) were given to one Henry Cartwright and his heirs.” The church of this convent is now used for the parochial chapel, and the rest is appropriated to the use of the free grammar-school. The town of Atherstone consists chiefly of one principal street, which is well-built, and nearly a mile in length. It contains a convenient market-place and house; the latter being situated on pillars with a spacious assembly-room above. The town is within the jurisdiction of the county-magistrates, who hold a petty session weekly for the Atherstone division of the hundred of Hemlingford. The market-day is Tues day, and fairs are held on April 7th, for horses, cows, and sheep; July 18th, A holiday fair; September 19th, for cattle and cheese; and on December 4th, there is a great cattle-fair. The Coventry Union bank has a branch here; and now also carries on the bank of Weaver and Walsh. The principal manufactures are those of hats, ribbons, and shalloons: the fairs are well-frequented: that in September was once the most considerable in England for the sale of cheese. The Coventry canal, united with that of the Trent and Mersey, passes within 100 yards of the town; and it has been proposed to carry the extension line of railroad from Stafford to Rugby through the town. There are posts to Sheepy, Twycross, Appleby, Measham, and Nuneaton. At the Conquest, this town was given to the monks of Bee in Normandy, who obtained a grant of a market and an annual fair. It is 9 miles distant from the famous field of Bosworth. Pop., in 1801, 2,650; in 1831, 3,870. Houses 801. A. P. £8,008. Poor rates, in 1837, £1,767.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Atherstone, in Mancetter par. 107 m. N.W. by N. London. P. 3743
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Adams Michael, Atherstone, Warwickshire, hat manufacturer, July 15, 1831.
Alcock William, Atherstone, Warwickshire, victualler, Jan. 13, 1832.
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Atherstone
- Probate Court: Pre-1837 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 – Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Arden
- Poor Law Union: Atherstone
- Hundred: Hemlingford
- Province: Canterbury