Astley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Other places in the parish include: Soley End.
Parish registers begin: 1670
Parishes adjacent to Astley
- Chilvers Coton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASTLEY, a parish in Nuneaton district, Warwick: on the Sow brook, 3½ miles W by S of Chilvers-Coton r. station, and 4½ SW by W of Nuneaton. It contains a place called Soley-End; and has a post office under Nuneaton. Acres, 2,550. Real property, £3,820. Pop., 332 of Astley, one of whom fell on the field of Evesham fighting against Henry III., two taken prisoners on the field of Bannockburn, and one distinguished highly for military services in the time of Henry VIII.; it passed by marriage to the Greys of Ruthin, of whom were the Duke of Suffolk and his danghter, Lady Jane Grey, who suffered on the block for their claim to the crown; and it now belongs to N. Newdegate, Esq., of the neighbouring grand seat of Arbury Hall. Astley Castle, the ancient residence of the Greys, rebuilt in the time of Queen Mary, was allowed to fall into neglect, and used as a farmhouse; but is now a renovated and elegant residence; and contains some old armour, and a portrait of the last Duke of Suffolk. The old parts of it are picturesquely clothed with ivy; and a moat around it has remains of massive masonry along the inner edge, and is overshadowed with fine trees. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £60. Patron, N. Newdegate, Esq. The church is part of an edifice built, in the time of Edward III., by Sir Thomas de Astley, for a dean, two canons, or prebendaries, and three vicars, and adorned with a tall spire, which served as a landmark in the broad surrounding woodlands, and was popularly called “the Lanthorn of Arden;” but even what remains of the structure has been much injured by neglect and maltreatment. There is a free school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Astley, 6 miles E. Coleshill P. 371.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
ASTLEY, a parish in the Kirby division of the hund. of Knightlow, union of Nuneaton, Warwickshire; 4 1/2 miles west-south-west from Nuneaton; on the Sow brook. Living, a perpetual curacy, formerly in the archd. of Coventry and dio. of Lichfield and Coventry, now in the dio. of Worcester; rated at £10, and endowed with £16 per annum; gross income £60. Patron, in 1835, F. Newdigate, Esq. The chapel is only a part of the original building, which suffered much in the early part of the 7th century. Astley castle, once the abode of Henry Grey, marquis of Dorset, father of Lady Jane Grey, is still a tenantable residence, though much of it is dismantled. “In the 17° Edward III.,” says Tanner, “Sir Thomas de Astley obtained leave of the king and the ordinary, to change the chantry, which he had here founded some years before, into a dean and secular canons, and then erected here, in the form of a cross, a beautiful collegiate church to the honour of the assumption of the blessed Virgin. It consisted only of a dean, two canons or prebendaries, viz. of Milverton and Wolvey, and three vicars, besides clerks and servants, and was valued, 26° Henry VIII. at £46 0s. 8d. The site was granted to Henry, marquis of Dorset, 38° Henry VIII.” Pop., in 1801, 251; in 1831, 340. Houses 58. Acres 2,550. A. P. £3,277. Poor rates, in 1837, £320. — About 2 1/2 miles east from Astley is Arbury hall, a fine Gothic mansion, which owes much of its elegance to the taste of the late Sir Roger Newdigate.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Nuneaton
- Probate Court: Pre-1837 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 – Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Arden
- Poor Law Union: Nuneaton
- Hundred: Knightlow
- Province: Canterbury