Alveston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Other places in the parish include: Tiddington Ville and Tiddington.
Parish church: St James
Parish registers begin: 1539
Parishes adjacent to Alveston
- Atherstone on Stour
- Hampton Lucy
- Clifford Chambers
- Stratford on Avon
Village church at Alveston, Stratford-upon-Avon, England.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Alveston, formerly called Aulston, a parish in the Snitterfield division of the hund. of Barlichway, Stratford-on-Avon union, Warwickshire; 2 miles north-east from Stratford-on-Avon. Living, a vicarage in the dio. of Worcester, exempt from the visitation of the archdeacon; rated at £6, and in the parliamentary returns at £130; gross income £223. The church contains some fine monuments of the Lucy family. Patron, the rector of Hampton-Lucy. The great and small tithes were commuted in 1771. There is a small daily school here. Charities connected with this parish yield a yearly revenue of £47. The village stands in an agreeable neighbourhood, and finely wooded country, near the Avon; and has been called from the salubrity of its air, the Montpelier of England. A new church has been built here. Pop., in 1801, 465; in 1831, 650. Houses 135. Acres 4,300. A. P. £6,561. Poor rates, in 1837, £431. — To the westward of Alveston rise the Welcombe hills.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Alveston, 2 miles N.E. Stratford-on-Avon. P. 793
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Stratford on Avon
- Probate Court: Post-1850 – Court of the Bishop of Worcester, Pre-1851 – Court of the Peculiar of Hampton Lucy
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Kineton
- Poor Law Union: Stratford on Avon
- Hundred: Barlinchway
- Province: Canterbury