Upton Warren is a parish and village distant 2¾ miles S.W. of Bromsgrove, 3¼ of Droitwich, 10 N.E. of Worcester, and 1½ W. of Stoke Works station on the Midland railway; is in the eastern division of the county and hundred of Upper Halfshire; poor-law union and county court district of Droitwich; petty sessional division and polling district of Bromsgrove; annual rateable value, £4,749; area of parish, 2,603 acres; population in 1861, 338; in 1871, 369, with 74 inhabited houses and 86 families or separate occupiers. The Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot is lord of the manor, and Lord Edmund Talbot is owner of about four-fifths of the parish. Harry Foley Vernon, Esq., is also a landowner here. The soil is clayey; chief produce, wheat, barley, oats, turnips, peas, beans, and pasture. The Warren brook runs through the parish. Upton Warren is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Droitwich; living, a rectory, value £749, with residence; patron, the Earl of Shrewsbury; rector, Rev. Francis Bodfield Hooper, B.A., late Scholar of Christ’s College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1836. The church of St. Michael was rebuilt in the last century, except the tower, which is the most ancient portion of the original building, being of the twelfth century; it consists of chancel, nave, embattled tower, with low spire, and three bells. The parish registers begin with the year 1604. There is a parochial school for boys and girls, with an average attendance of 40. The proceeds of Lacey’s and other charities are duly applied. Saunders’s gift, value £10 yearly, is to apprentice a boy of this parish. A few of the inhabitants are employed at Stoke salt works.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters arrive by messenger from Bromsgrove at 8.45 a.m.; despatched thereto at 6.0 p.m. Bromsgrove is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Michael’s). – Rev. Francis John Bodfield Hooper, B.A., Rector; Messrs. John Gibbs and William Boulton, Churchwardens; William Butler, Parish Clerk.
Parochial School (mixed). – Miss Brocklebank, Mistress.
Hooper Rev. Francis John Bodfield, B.A. (rector), The Rectory
Horton John Robeson, Esq., The Oaklands
Jones Mr. Joseph, Park hall
Jones The Misses, Abberley house
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Bennett Mr., farmer, The Grange
Boulton Wm., farmer, The Moors farm
Brocklebank Miss, schoolmistress
Colley George, gamekeeper, Poislands
Cook Richard, carpenter and shopkeeper
Crump Henry, basket maker, Woodcote
Dodd James, wheelwright, Woodcote
Dunn John, farmer, Durrance
Edwards John, farmer, Hill farm
Evans Edward, farmer, The Grange
Evans Thomas, farmer, Durrance
Floyd Charles, blacksmith
Frances William, farmer, Warridge lodge
Gibbs John, farmer, Village farm
Goddard Samuel, farmer, Woodcote
Griffin Thomas, carpenter, &c., Cooksey
Holden William, Swan Inn, and miller, Upton Warren mill
Jones The Misses, ladies’ boarding-school, Abberley house
Lees John, farmer, New house and Cooksey farm
Morgan William, farmer, Signal fields
Norton Mrs. Elizabeth, farmer and miller, Badgecourt
Partridge Joseph, farmer, and brick and tile manufacturer, Rising Bridge house
Perrins Solomon, farmer, Lake farm (and in Bromsgrove parish)
Perrins William, farmer and assistant overseer, Cooksey
Taylor William, farmer, Woodcote
Thomas Charles, boot and shoe maker
Twigg John, shopkeeper, Cooksey
Wardell James, farmer, Durrance
Watkins John, farmer, Cordwell farm
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.