Upton upon Severn (with the village of Hanley Castle and Neighbours) Slater’s Directory 1850

Upton is a parish in the hundred of Pershore – the market town is 111 miles N.W. by N. form London, 10 S. from Worcester, 8 S.E. from Malvern, the like distance S.W. from Pershore, 7 N.N.W. from Tewkesbury, 26 E. from Hereford, 10 E. by N. from Ledbury, and 5 miles W. from the Defford station on the Birmingham and Bristol railway. The town is eligibly seated on the western bank of the Severn, which is here navigable for vessels of one hundred and ten tons burthen; and from its trade and shipments upon this fine river is derived the consequence and welfare which belongs to it. A considerable quantity of cider, brought from Hereford and other places, is shipped here for different parts of England: in this business are some very respectable houses – Messrs. Kent & Sons rank as the most considerable; they are also large vinegar manufacturers, and have been established upwards of 70 years. Of the other branches, those in malt, coal and timber may be considered the principal. According to the best authorities Upton was the Upoessa of Ravennas, and the opinion that it was a Roman station has been corroborated by the discovery of some ancient armour in the neighbourhood. A bridge consisting of six arches, was erected, pursuant to an act of parliament, in the reign of James I, which was broken down, and a battery placed in the churchyard, to prevent the approach of Cromwell and his forces; but the plan was ineffectual, and the parliamentarians entered the place: the present bridge was erected in 1606. The town is neatly built, gas-lighted, and the streets are well paved. The vicinity presents many pleasing prospects over a country naturally fertile, and rendered more beautiful by the labours of the husbandman. In one direction the view is delightfully picturesque, bounded by the Malvern hills, which overtop all the intermediate country. The neighbourhood is also graced by several seats, belonging to distinguished and noble personages, amongst which is Croome House, the residence of the Earl of Coventry, who also has a handsome mansion on the banks of the Severn. The Rev. Joseph Martin is lord of the manor, and holds court occasionally: and the magistrates sit in petty session once a fortnight. Upton is a polling station at the election of members to represent the western division of the county; and it is included in the twenty-fifth circuit of County Court towns under the act, passed August, 1846, for the recovery of debts nor exceeding £20.

The parish church of St. Peter and St. Paul is a neat edifice, completed in 1758; the ancient tower was once surmounted by a spire, which, from apprehension of insecurity, was taken down, and a cupola of wood substituted: the living is a rectory, in the gift of the bishop of Worcester; the Rev. Henry Joseph Taylor is the present incumbent. The Baptists and Wesleyan Methodists have each a place of worship, and there is a national school. The market is held on Thursday; and the fairs, March 20th, May 29th, July 10th, and September 25th, principally for cattle and horses. The parish of Upton contained in 1831, 2,343 inhabitants, and in 1841, 2696.

HANLEY-CASTLE is a parish in the same hundred as Upton – the village being situated about a mile and a half from that town on the road to Worcester. Its adjunctive appellation is said to be derived from a castle, which formerly stood on the banks of the Severn, here, and was successively possessed by the Earls of Warwick, the De Spencers and the Lechmeres: its remains now form portions of a farm house. The parish church of St. Mary and a chapel for Roman Catholics are the places of worship. The living of Hanley is a discharged vicarage in the patronage of the ancient family of Lechmere, the Rev. A. B. Lechmere is the incumbent. A school founded here by an ancestor of the Lechmere family is open to children of both sexes, and had formerly two exhibitions to Baliol College, Oxford – it is now conducted on Dr. Bell’s system; and there is a school for girls, who are taught on the national plan. The parish contained, in 1831, 1,653 inhabitants, and in 1841, 1,677.

POST OFFICE, High-street, Upton, Sarah Day, Post Mistress – Letters from London, Cheltenham, Gloucester, and the West of England, arrive every evening at half-past five, and are despatched at five minutes before ten in the morning.

Letters from Worcester, and all parts of England (except London), arrive every morning at half-past six, and are despatched at a quarter before six in the evening.

NOBILITY, GENTRY, AND CLERGY.

Clarke Mrs. Mary, Old st

Coucher Miss Elizabeth, Bury field

Coventry the Right Hon. Earl of, Croome House

Coventry the Hon. Thomas, Severn Stoke

Coventry the Hon, W. H., Earls Croome

Cowley Mrs. Mary, Bury field

Crees Miss Elizabeth, Dun’s lane

Dancock Miss Maria, Old st

Dunn Rev. Charles, Earl’s Croome

Gee Thomas, Esq., Hanley-Castle

Henlock (or Henlook) Mrs. Mary, Dun’s lane

Horyhold Thomas, Esq., Blackmoor park

Hudson Mr. Samuel, Myrtle Cottage

Kent Rev. Alfred, Bury field

Kent Benjamin G. Esq., Levant Lodge, Earl’s Croome

Kent John Clarke, Esq., Bury field

Lechmere Rev. Anthony Berwick, Hanley-Castle

Lechmere Sir Edmund, Bart., Rhydd

Lloyd Rev. Thomas, Hanley-Castle

Philpott Rev. Henry Charles, Severn Stoke

Strode Lieutenant-Colonel – , Heath House

Symonds Mr. Richd. Hanley-Castle

Taylor Rev. Henry Joseph, Rectory, Upton

Williams Mr. Edmund, Bury field

ACADEMIES AND SCHOOLS

Clay Esther, Bury field

Crees Harriet (boarding and day), New street

Grammar School, Hanley-Castle – Rev. Thomas Lloyd, master

Hanley Free School, Hanley-Castle – William Hillier, master

Infants’ School, Bury field – Jane Millage, mistress

Merriman Mary, Church street

National School, Bury field – Joseph Mansfield, master; Mary Carter, mistress

National School (girls), Hanley-Castle – Elizabeth Hillier, mistress

Walton James, (boarding and day), Church street

Ward Thomas, Church st

ATTORNEYS.

Beale Thomas, New street

Clarke John, Bury field

Cooper Beale, Severn side

Holland Thomas, Court st

Skey & Sewell, Bury field

Walker Thomas, New st

AUCTIONEERS.

Berkley William, court st

Crees William, New st

Hemming George, High street

BAKERS & FLOUR DEALERS.

Aishen William, Hanley-Castle

Bates Thomas, Old st

Bradley William Alfred, High st

Cowley Thomas, Church st

Gurney William, Old st

Handy William, Old st

Hill John, Old st

Pinnington William, New st

Woodward William, Old st

BANKS.

Tewkesbury Old Bank (Branch) High street – (draws on Robarts, Curtis & Co. London) – George Henry Piercy, manager

Savings’ Bank, Town hall – John Clarke, actuary

BASKET MAKERS.

Dale John, Dun’s lane

Tinkley Thomas, Church street

BLACKSMITHS.

Price George, Dun’s lane

Reynolds Benjamin, Hanley-Castle

Watkins William, Longdon’s heath

Webb Richard, Old street

Woodward James, Court st

BOOKSELLERS.

Barnard George, Old st

White John, New st

BOOT AND SHOE MAKERS.

Bamford William, Old st

Bishop William, Old st

Day John, Old st

Drinkwater John, Old st

Dutfield James, Old st

Edmunds John, Hanley-Castle

Griffiths William, Court st

Hughes Henry, Old st

Hunter Thomas, Dun’s lane

Jackson Charles, Bury field

Johnson Robert, Church st

Stevens Francis, Old st

White Walter, Old st

Wood Matthias, Church st

BRICK MAKERS.

Heach Thomas, Severn side

Parsons George, Upton

Tandy John, Ripple

BRICKLAYERS.

Bell Richard, Old st

Crump John, New st

Kent James, Old st

Kent Thomas, New st

BUTCHERS.

George Elizabeth, High st

Goodall George, Old st

Matthews John, New st

Purser Robert, Old st

Thould Henry, Old st

Williams Robert David, High st

CARPENTERS.

Bell Richard, Old st

Berkley William, Court st

Fleet John, Hanley-Castle

Hancock William, Old st

Ridgway Charles, New st

Willis John, Old st

Wridgway William, Old st

CHEMISTS AND DRUGGISTS

Cooper William Ecklee (&printer), High st

Jackson George, High st

CIDER AND PERRY MERCHANTS

Clarke Geo. (& wine), Severn side

Kent W. & S. & Sons (and vinegar manufacturers, and importers of foreign spirits), Church street – (See advertisement)

Lucy Francis Wm. Hanley-Castle

COAL MERCHANTS.

Barnard William, High st

Cottrill Edwin, Dun’s lane

Harrison William, High st

White Richard, Hanley-Castle

COOPERS.

Hartland William, High st

Thomas Charles, Hook

CORN DEALERS.

Bradley William Alfred, High st

George Samuel, High st

Goodall Richard, High st

FIRE, &C., OFFICE AGENTS.

Cattle, William Crees, New st

Guardian, Harriet Clarke, Old st

London Indisputable, (life) Skey & Sewell, Bury field

Norwich Union, Wm. Hancock, High st

Pelican, (life) and Phoenix (fire) George Henry Piercy, High st

Royal Exchange, Beale Cooper, High st

Royal Farmer’s William Ecklee Cooper, High st

GARDENERS.

Duffty Robert, Soley’s orchard

Elt Samuel, Severn side

Hill Joseph, Old st

Jinks Thomas, Severn side

Sands Thomas, Old st

GROCERS AND DRAPERS

(See also Shopkeepers, &c.)

Barnard George, Old st

Barnard William, Old st

Cowley Charles John, New st

Cowley Henry, High st

Day Sarah, High st

George Samuel, High st

Gorle William, High st

Harlow John, High st

Nash & Farr, High st

HAIR DRESSERS.

Hall John, High st

Layton Ann, High st

IMPORTERS OF FOREIGN SPIRITS

Kent W. & S. & Sons, (and Scotch and Irish Whiskys, and French white wine vinegar and cordials), Church st – (see advertisement)

INNS.

(See also Taverns & Public Houses)

Star, Henry Bundy, High st

Talbot, Frederick Shirley, High st

White Lion, Mary Thacker, High st

IRONMONGERS.

Cooper John, Old st

Ridgway Charles, New st

Wilks & Co, Old st

LEATHER SELLERS.

Perks Moses, Old st

Taylor Thomas, Old st

LINEN & WOOLLEN DRAPERS

Cowley Charles John, New st

Cowley Henry, High st

Nash & Farr, High st

Phillips Emily, Old st

MALTSTERS

Armstrong Joseph, High st

Bradley William Alfred, High st

Clarke George, Severn side

George Samuel, High st

Harrison William, High st

Hartland William, High st

Lucy William Francis, High st

Matthews John, New st

Perrins Edward, High st

Spencer George, New st

MILLERS.

Perrins Edward, Upton Mill

Woodward James, London heath

MILLINERS & DRESS MAKERS.

King Ann, High st

Price Mary, Old st

Rickards Rose, New st

Stiles Letitia, Old st

PAINTERS, PLUMBERS AND GLAZIERS.

Barnett George, Old st

Cooper Thomas, Old st

Hudson, Henry, Church st

Hudson Joseph, Old st

SADDLERS.

Lane William, High st

Pratt John, Old st

SHOPKEEPERS & DEALERS IN GROCERIES & SUNDRIES.

Barnard George, Old st

Bates Thomas, Old st

Blew Samuel (and dyer), High st

Causon Henry, Court st

Cobham John, Old st

Genevar Sarah, High st

Hall Jane, Church st

Heath Ann, New st

Holyhead Sophia, Hanley-Castle

King Ann, High st

Pinnington William, New st

Richards Ann, New st

Sands Susannah, Old st

Wagstaff Stephen, Hanley-Castle

Williams James, New st

SPIRIT MERCHANTS.

See Importers of Foreign Spirits.

STRAW BONNET MAKERS.

Dean Mary, Old st

Griffiths Jane, Court st

King Ann, High st

Lane Sarah, New st

Pitt Ann, Old st

SURGEONS.

Bradon Charles, Dun’s lane

Goodman Gabriel, Old st

Lewis James, Hanley-Castle

Marsh Henry B., High st

Trash Henry Sneath, New st

TAILORS.

Barnes James, High st

Bennet William, Old st

Clay George, Court st

Clay John, Bury field

Richards Joseph, New st

Stone John, Court st

Thomas William, Old st

Wall Thomas, Back field

Williams James, New st

Willis William, High st

TAVERNS & PUBLIC HOUSES.

Anchor, John Masters, High st

Bell, John Turner, New st

Black Boy, Thomas Pitt, New st

Black Swan, Edwin Cottrill, Dun’s lane

Cross Keys, William Gurney, Old st

Crown, Thomas Woodward, Old st

Hanley Quay, Thomas Lloyd, Hanley-Castle

King’s Head, Luke Day, High st

Oak, Sarah Cook, Pig market

Severn Trow, Joseph Griffin, Dun’s lane

Wheatsheaf, Thomas Tinkley, Church st

RETAILERS OF BEER.

Griffin James, Old st

Jill John, Old st

Hughes Joseph, Hanley-Castle

Jeynes Joseph, Dun’s lane

Laughton John, Old st

Pumfrey John, Horse fair

VINEGAR MANUFACTURERS.

Clarke George, Severn side

Kent W. & S. & Sons (and importers of foreign spirits, and French white wine vinegar) Church st – (see advertisement)

WATCH & CLOCK MAKERS.

Broadway Edward, Old st

White John, New st

WHEELWRIGHTS.

Maund Samuel, High st

Phillips John, Hanley-Castle

MISCELLANEOUS.

Aston Mary, rag dealer, Old st

Barnett Harriet, fancy repository, Old st

Bell Richard, stone mason, Old st

Berkley William, surveyor, Court st

COUNTY COURT, Court street, Benjamin Parham, Esq. judge; Thomas Holland, clerk; Thomas Watkis Ross, bailiff

Fleet John, parish clerk, Hanley-Castle

GAS WORKS, New st – Thomas Farr, secretary

George Samuel, tallow chandler, Court st

Ikey Jno. Superintendent registrar, Bury field

INLAND REVENUE OFFICE, at the Talbot Inn – James Brook, supervisor

Jones Rebecca, staymaker, Bury field

MARKET HALL AND TOWN HALL, Old st

New Elizabeth, fruiterer, Court st

POLICE STATION, Court st – William Freeman, superintendent

Redding William, hatter, New st

Sands Susannah, earthenware dealer, Old st

STAMP OFFICE, High st – Samuel George, sub-distributor

Tromlett Thomas, ho[s]ier & haberdasher, Old st

Walker Charles James, registrar of births and deaths, Upton

White Thos. Henry, inland revenue officer, Bury field

Whitehouse William, coach maker, Court st

Wood Thomas, news agent, Old st

Woodward James, veterinary surgeon, Court st

Workman Moses, brazier, Old st

Wright William, pump maker, Old st

POOR LAW UNION.

WORKHOUSE, Bury field

Governor – William Bathurst

Matron – Caroline Bathurst

Schoolmaster – George Whiteside

Surgeon – Henry B Marsh

Clerk to the Guardians – John Skey

Relieving Officers – James Duncock and Charles James Walker

COACHES.

All from the Star Inn

To Cheltenham, a coach, every morning at ten, and evening at five.

To Great Malvern, a coach, daily at twelve noon, and evening at half-past five

To Worcester, the Star, every Wednesday and Saturday mornings at ten.

CONVEYANCE BY RAILWAY

ON THE BIRMINGHAM & BRISTOL LINE

The nearest station is at Defford, five miles east from Upton

CARRIERS.

To Pershore, Samuel Dones, from the Star Inn, Thursday

To Worcester, James Lyes, from his house, Upton, Wednesday and Sat.

CONVEYANCE BY WATER.

To Gloucester, Samuel Thorn, every Tuesday

To Worcester, John Pumfrey, every Tuesday and Friday.

Source: Slater’s Directory (Worcestershire Section) 1850

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s