Stoke Bliss is a parish formerly in Herefordshire, but transferred to Worcestershire for civil purposes, under the provisions of Section 54 of the Local Government (England and Wales) Act, 1888 (51 and 52 Vict. C. 41), by Order of the Local Government Board, May 8, 1897, confirmed by Provisional Orders Confirmation (No. 10) Act, 18971
Stoke Bliss parish includes: Little Kyre or Kyre Minor or Kyre Parva.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1571
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Parishes adjacent to Stoke Bliss
- Kyre Wyard
- Hanley Child
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Stoke-Bliss, 5 miles N. Bromyard. P. 351.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Stoke-Bliss, a parish, partly in the hund. of Broxash, and partly in the Upper division of the hund. of Doddingtree, union of Tenbury, counties of Hereford and Worcester; 5½ miles north-north by west of Bromyard. The parish includes the hamlet of Little Kyre. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Hereford; rated at £6 16s. 8d.; gross income £383. Tithes commuted in 1839; aggregate amount £357 14s. 8d. Patron, the Lord-chancellor. Here is a day and Sunday school. In 1835 hops were cultivated in this parish to the extent of 110 acres. Acres 2,410. Houses 70. A.P. £704. Pop., in 1801, 187; in 1831, 175. Poor rates, in 1838, £38 8s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1848
Kyre (Little), a chapelry in the parish of Stoke-Bliss, county of Worcester; 4 miles south-east of Tenbury. Living, a curacy annexed to the rectory of Stoke-Bliss. Acres 1,130. Houses 34. A. P. £765. Pop., in 1801, 126; in 183S, 169. Poor rates, in 1838, £58 17s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1848
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Kyre-Minor – a hamlet and chapelry to the parish of Stoke Bliss, half a mile from the above Kyre-Wyard; containing 25 inhabited houses. Population, 1801, 126 – 1811, 120 – 1821, 121.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
- County: Herefordshire and Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Tenbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Frome
- Poor Law Union: Tenbury
- Worcestershire: Doddingtree
- Herefordshire: Broxash
- Province: Canterbury
- Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire 1941, published by Kelly’s Directories Ltd 1941. Reproduced with the kind permission of the publishers Kelly’s Directories Ltd and Reed Business Information ↩