Staunton is a village and parish, 7 miles from Tewkesbury, and about 6 from Newent, containing in 1841 a population of 402, and 559 in 1851, the increase being attributable to the introduction of the National Land company’s operation at “Snigs End,” where they have erected a great number of cottages.
Downing is situate about half a mile W. of the village, and contains only a few farm houses; the population is returned with the parish.
The Church, dedicated to St. James, is partly in the decorated and partly in the later style of English architecture, and has a tower, containing a peal of six bells. The living is a Rectory, worth about £360 per annum. Rev. Thomas Hill, Rector; Mr. Samuel Bundy, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
There is a small Methodist Chapel in the village. No stated minister. Service – 2 and 6 p.m.
Hill Rev. Thomas, Rector, Rectory
Axford Charles J., surgeon
Barnes William, shoe maker
Bowyer James, farmer
Bradley Thomas, farmer, Stone Walls Farm
Bray John, tailor
Broadstick William, blacksmith
Bundy Samuel, mason and Parish Clerk
Butt John, farmer
Cook William, farmer and miller
Davis William, stocking weaver
Fowler John, cooper
Fuller Frederick, farmer, Hill Farm
Halford John, farmer
Halford Mrs., farmer
Hawkins Jeremiah, farmer, Staunton Court
Hawkins William, farmer, Vine Farm
Hobbs John, wheelwright
Hooper Thomas, surgeon
Hooper William, farmer
Hounsley Alexander, farmer
Jell William, farmer
Lloyd Thomas, victualler, and licensed to let horses, Swan
Panting Robert, draper and grocer
Russell John, miller, Pitts’s Mill
Shopland John, farmer
Walker John, shoe maker
Hawkins Frances, farmer, Ellis Place
Purser Samuel, farmer
Robinson George, farmer
The Post Office is in Corse parish – Mr. R. J. Streather, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 11 a.m.; despatch, 3 30 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855