Shurdington is a chapelry of Badgeworth Ancient Parish in Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Great Shurdington
Parish registers begin: 1556
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
Parishes adjacent to Shurdington
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Shurdington (Great), a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Dudstone and King’s-Barton, union of Cheltenham, county of Gloucester; 3 miles south-south-west of Cheltenham. Living, a curacy to the vicarage of Badgeworth. Here is a daily school. Acres 2,080. Houses 24. A. P. £466. Pop., in 1801, 63; in 1831, 99. Poor rates, in 1838, £00 13s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Shurdington (Great), 3 miles E. Gloucester. P. 198
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Shurdington, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Cheltenham (94) 3½ m. SW. Pop. 102.
A parish in the upper division of the hundred of Dudstone and King’s Barton; living, a curacy subordinate to the vicarage of Badgeworth in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, not in charge; church ded to St. Paul; patronage with Badgeworth vicarage. On opening a large tumulus here, a stone coffin was discovered containing the body of a man, and a helmet, much corroded.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. III; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cheltenham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
- Poor Law Union: Cheltenham
- Hundred: Dudstone and King’s Barton
- Province: Canterbury