Burslem is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1849 from chapelry in Stoke upon Trent Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Abbey Halton, Abbey Hulton, Abbey Hulton with Milton with Sneyd Green, Burslem with Dale Hall and Longport, Sneyd Green, Longport, Rushton Grange, Rushton Green, and Dale Hall.
Parish registers begin: 1637
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Methodist New Connexion, Presbyterian, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
Parishes adjacent to Burslem
- Bucknall cum Bagnall
- Burslem St Paul
- Norton le Moors
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BURSLEM, a town, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict in the district of Wolstanton, and within the borough of Stoke-upon-Trent, Staffordshire. The town stands on the side of a hill, adjacent to the Grand Trunk canal and the North Stafford railway, 3 miles NNE of Newcastle-under-Lyne. It was known at the Conquest as Barcardeslim; it came early into notice, in connexion with excellent clays beneath and around it, for the manufacture of earthenware; it took the lead of all the towns and hamlets of England in improvements in pottery; it was the birthplace of Wedgwood, and the scene of his many achievements till his removal to Etruria; and it has been called, both on account of its history and on account of its occupying a central spot in the great Staffordshire pottery tract, the “Mother of the Potteries.” It is irregularly, though substantially built; it consists of streets and thoroughfares so confusedly aligned as. to be perplexing to strangers; it has grown into junction with Longport, so as to be practically one place with that town; and it displays everywhere the murky and grotesque features of its staple manufacture. The townhall, built in 1855, is a redeeming object. The structure is an oblong, of 100 feet by 60, in the Italian style, with plastered Corinthian arcade, large end portico, and surmounting belfry; consists of three stories; and contains municipal offices, newsroom, lecture-rooms, and a spacious main hall. The Wedgwood Memorial Institute, opened in 1869, near the town hall, and near the place where Wedgwood’s manufactory stood, comprehends a school of art, a museum, and a free library, and presents an ornamental façade decorated with terracotta mouldings, tile mosaics, Della Robbia panels, and other products of the ceramic art. St. John’s church is a brick edifice, with a massive stone Norman tower. St. Paul’s church, in Longport, is a handsome stone structure of 1828, built with aid of £8,000 from the church commissioners. Christchurch, in Cobridge, is an edifice of brick, with stone pinnacles, built in 1843. Sneyd church, in Sneyd hamlet, is a fine stone structure of 1852. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyan Methodists, and other dissenters; and there is a school with £27 from endowment. About forty pottery establishments are in the town and its neighbourhood, producing every variety of porcelain and earthenware; and these, together with glass-works, colour-mills, smelting-furnaces, and various works connected with the potteries and the mines, employ nearly all the inhabitants. The town has a post office under Stoke-upon-Trent, a railway station with telegraph, two banking offices, and four chief inns; and is a seat of sessions and a polling place. Markets are held on Monday and Saturday; and fairs on the Saturday before Shrove Tuesday, the Saturday on or after 24 June, the Saturday before Ember-week, and 26 Dec.
The township includes Longport and Dale-Hall. Real property, £51,264; of which £1,380 are in mines. Pop., 17,821. Houses, 3,510.—The parish includes also the hamlet of Sneyd, the ville of Rushton-Grange, and the lordship of Abbey-Hulton. Acres, 2,940. Real property, £65,240; of which £8,226 are in mines. Pop. in 1841, 16,091; in 1861, 22,327. Houses, 4,390. The property is much subdivided. Potter’s clay forms a bed from 2 to 10 feet thick; fire clay lies below to considerable depth; and coal lies below the fire clay. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £525. Patron, J. Morris, Esq. St. Paul, Christchurch, and Sneyd are separate charges, with p. curates. Value of St. Paul, £300; of Sneyd, £150; of Christchurch, £142. Patron of St. Paul and Christchurch, the Rector of Burslem; of Sneyd, alternately the Crown and the bishop.-The sub district is conterminate with the parish.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The National Gazetteer 1868
ABBEY HULTON, a tnshp. in the par. of Burslem, in the north div. of the hund. of Pirehill, in the co. of Stafford, 17 miles S. of Stafford. Here are remains of an ancient abbey. The population are chiefly engaged in the manufacture of porcelain, which was established by Wedgwood, who was born at the neighbouring village of Burslem, and there brought to perfection his marvellous inventions in pottery and porcelain.
Source: The National Gazetteer: a Topographical Dictionary of the British Islands compiled from the latest and best sources and illustrated with a complete county atlas and numerous maps. Vol. 1. Virtue & Co. London. 1868.
Burslem – Commercial Directory of the Jews of Gt. Britain. 1894
NEWCASTLE STREET. Jacobson, I.; Glass and paint dealer.
NILE STREET. Goldman, M.; Draper.
WATERLOO ROAD. Livingstone, Geo, 13; and 22, Hope Street; Wholesale and retail wall paper and glass merchant.
Source: Commercial Directory of the Jews of the United Kingdom 1894 by Harfield, Eugene G.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843.
Bailey John, Burslem, Staffordshire, innkeeper, Sept. 14, 1841.
Beardmore George, Burslem, Staffordshire, builder, May 16, 1826.
Beardmore Geo., Burslem, Staffordshire, builder and carpenter, May 26, 1835.
Bebbington Creasy, Burslem, Staffordshire, clock & watchmaker, Oct. 1, 1839.
Blackband John, Burslem, Staffordshire, grocer, April 17, 1821.
Brett Wm.; & James Holah; Burslem, Staffordshire, grocers, June 10, 1826.
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Wolstanton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Stoke upon Trent
- Poor Law Union: Wolstanton and Burslem
- Hundred: North Pirehill
- Province: Canterbury