Churchdown is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. Bartholomew; St. Andrew.
Parish registers begin: 1563
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Plymouth Brethren.
Parishes adjacent to Churchdown
Gloucester St Mary de Lode
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Churchdown, a village and a parish in the district and county of Gloucester. The village stands near Erimne-street and the Gloucester and Cheltenham railway, under the Cotswolds, 3½ miles E of Gloucester. The parish includes also the hamlet of Hucclecote; and its post town is Gloucester. Acres, 4,076. Real property, £4, 679. Pop., 1,119. Houses, 233. The property is divided among a few. Churchdown hill is 4 miles in circuit, and 2, 550 feet high; and commands a fine view of the vale of Gloucester. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £88. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is ancient, and has a Norman-looking tower. The vicarage of Hucclecote is a separate charge. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a free school, and charities £24. Harmer, the professor of Greek, was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Churchdown, 1 mile E. Gloucester. P. 999
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.