Ashchurch is a township, village, large parish, and railway station, comprising the hamlets of Pamington, Aston-upon-Carrant, Fiddington, Northway, Newton, and Natton. Ashchurch is pleasantly situated on the high road from Tewkesbury to Winchcomb and Stow, is a station on the Birmingham and Bristol railway and junction of the Tewkesbury branch, distant 2 miles east-north-east from Tewkesbury, 9 south-west from Evesham, and 8 north-west from Winchcomb, in the lower division of the Hundred and Union of Tewkesbury, East Gloucestershire, archdeaconry of Gloucester, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is a large and ancient building of various architecture, and consists of nave, porch, chancel, north aisle, and square tower surmounted by 4 pinnacles and containing 6 bells. The interior has a handsome carved oak screen, also an organ. The living is a perpetual curacy worth £270 yearly, in the gift and incumbency of the Rev. John Askew, M.A. There is a national school for children of both sexes, erected in 1842. Walton House, the neat residence of George Ruddle, Esq., stands 1 mile west-by-south of Ashchurch. The population in 1851 was 786, and the acreage is 4,201. The soil is principally clay. Thomas Wakeman, Esq., is lord of the manor. Simpson Anderson, Esq., Rev. Charles Martin, and William Woodward, Esq., are the chief landowners. There are charities of £25 yearly value.
Pamington is a tithing, village, and hamlet in the parish, and half a mile south-east from Ashchurch, and 2 ½ east from Tewkesbury, with a population of 122.
Aston-upon-Carrant is a tithing hamlet in the parish, and about a mile east-north-east from Ashchurch, and 3 north-east from Tewkesbury, with a population of 206.
Fiddington is a tithing hamlet in the parish, and 1 ½ miles south from Ashchurch, and 2 south-east from Tewkesbury, with a population of 244.
Northway is a tithing hamlet in the parish, and half a mile north from Ashchurch, and 2 north-east from Tewkesbury, with a population of 214.
Newton is a hamlet adjoining Ashchurch, in Northway tithing.
Natton is a hamlet in the parish, and half a mile south-by-east from Ashchurch, in Fiddington tithing.
Askew Rev. John, M.A.
Ruddle George, esq. Walton house
Barnes William, beer retailer
Beck Thomas, station master
Greening William, farmer
Jones Edwin, farmer
Smart James, master of National school
Smart Mary Ann (Mrs.), mistress of National school
Smith Joseph, miller, Cowfield mill
Wasley James, parish clerk
Jackson William, farmer
Osborne Thomas, farmer
Trinder William, farmer
Barnett William, farmer
Booth Frederick, shopkeeper, beer retailer, carpenter & wheelwright
Cox John Lucus, land surveyor, schoolmaster & postmaster
Drinkwater Thomas, beer retailer
Rimel Richard, farmer
Smith Thomas, blacksmith
Spiers William, miller, Aston mill
Tombs John, farmer
Walker Job, carpenter & wheelwright
Walker William, blacksmith
Witts John, corn dealer
Witts William, farmer
Yeend Charles, farmer
Brotheridge Ambrose, farmer
Brotheridge John, farmer
Day William, farmer
Grubb Oliver, farmer
Hobbs Emma (Mrs.), farmer
Nind Martin, farmer
Peart Henry Long, farmer
Woodward William, esq. Northway house
Greening John, farmer
Hopton William, farmer, Cowfield farm
Morris George, miller, Northway mill
Woodward William, land agent & valuer
Davison Charles, farmer
Purcer Benjamin, farmer
Post Office, Aston-upon-Carrant. – John Lucus Cox, receiver. Letters arrive by foot from Tewkesbury at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Tewkesbury.
Registrar of Births & Death, & Relieving Officer, Wm. Brydges, Tewkesbury.
Parish Clerk, James Wasley
Church, Rev. John Askew, M.A. incumbent
National School, James Smart, master; Mrs. Mary Ann Smart, mistress
Railway Station, Thomas Beck, station master
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.