Aldridge is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Parish registers begin: 1660
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Aldridge
- Great Barr
- Walsall Wood St John
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Aldridge, a parish in the southern division of the hund. of Offlow, union of Walsall, county of Stafford. It contains the township of Aldridge and the chapelry of Great Barr. Living, a vicarage in the archd. of Stafford and dio. of Lichfield; rated at £8 1s. 3d.; gross income £1,100. Patron, in 1835, Sir E. D. Scott, Bart. Pop., in 1831, 1,700. Houses 303. Acres 7,980. A. P. £11,773. In this parish there is a noted pool called Druidmeer, the occasional overflow of which is supposed by the inhabitants to indicate an approaching dearth. A height in this parish, known by the name of Barr-Beacon, is said to have been the place from which the Druids gave notice of their sacrifices. The Wyrley and Essington canal passes through the parish. The township of Aldridge is 3 miles east-north-east from Walsall. There are two free schools here. One of these is a school for the education of eight poor girls, with an endowment of £12 per annum; the other, for the education of thirty or forty scholars, has a yearly income of £117 10s. 1d. There is also a National school. The annual produce of other charities connected with this parish, is £54 2s., exclusive of those in the chapelry and township of Great Barr: which see. Once in two years a court-leet is held here. There is an extensive distillery here; and in the neighbourhood a fine kind of clay is found, from which pottery, tiles, &c, are made. Pop., in 1801, 736; in 1831, 841. Houses 157. Acres 2,970. A. P. £5,128. Poor rates, in 1837, 320.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Allport H. Curzon, Aldridge, Stafford., wine merchant and maltster, Oct. 2, 1835.
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Walsall
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Walsall
- Poor Law Union: Walsall
- Hundred: South Offlow
- Province: Canterbury