Addlestrop is a township, parish, and small village, and railway station on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton line, 3 miles east from Stow-on-the-Wold, 5 south from Moreton-in-the-Marsh, and 5 west from Chipping Norton, in Upper Slaughter Hundred, Stow-on-the-Wold Union, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. It is situated near the small river Evenlode. The church is an ancient building, partly in the Norman style, and consists of tower, nave, and chancel, and has several monuments to the Leigh family. The living, with Broadwell annexed, is a rectory, united value £800 yearly, with residence, in the gift of Lord Leigh; the Hon. and Rev. Henry Pitt Cholmondeley, M.A., is the incumbent. There is a day school for boys and girls, and also a Sunday school; the former is supported by Lady Leigh, the latter by the rector. The population, in 1851, was 196, and the acreage is 1,250. The soil is a strong clay. Lord Leigh is lord of the manor and owner of the soil.
Cholmondeley Hon. & Rev. Henry Pitt, M.A. Rectory
Leigh Dowager Lady, Adlestrop house
Beecham Francis, farmer, Rectory farm
Freeman Charles, farmer
Lane Henry, blacksmith
Nash William, shopkeeper
Stow Richard, farmer, Adlestrop hill
Willifer Robert, farmer
Letters are received through Chipping Norton. The nearest money order office is at Stow-on-the-Wold.
Day school, Miss Mary Ann Wild, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.