Beverstone is a parish and village, 9 miles south west from Tetbury road station, 25 north from Bath, 21 south from Gloucester, and 102 from London, in Berkeley hundred, Tetbury union, Malmsbury county court district, West Gloucestershire, rural deanery of Dursley, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. It is situated 2 miles west from the Bath and Cirencester road. The church of St. Andrew, a stone building in the Early English style, has nave and chancel; on the tower is a basrelief of St. Andrew, the patron saint, with his cross. The living is a rectory, with the chapelry of Kingscote annexed, joint annual value £590, with residence, in the gift of the Crown; the Rev. Alan G. Cornwall, A.M., of Trinity College, Cambridge, is the incumbent; the Rev. Edward McLorg, B.A., of Queen’s College, Cambridge, is the curate. There is a mixed National school. The population in 1861 was 170 ; the acreage is 2,112. The soil is sandy and clayey; the subsoil is principally oolite. R.S.Holford, Esq., M.P.,is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The Castle is in a dilapidated condition; it is now in the possession of R. S. Holford, Esq.
Babdown and Nesley are farms in the parish.
Parish Clerk, John Ludlow.
McLorg Rev. Edward, B.A
Barber George, farmer, Babdown
Lewis Daniel, carpenter & builder
Kilmister Robert, farmer, Castle farm
Long Robert, farmer, Nesley
Mallar Thomas & James, carpenters & wheelwrights
Mallar Richd. carpenter & wheelwright
Ratcliffe Edwin, farmer. Park farm
Simpkins Thomas, blacksmith
Post Office. — Thomas Simpkins, receiver. Letters received through Stroud at 11.30 a.m.; dispatched 3.25 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Tetbury.
National School (mixed), Miss Lucy Kennington, mistress.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.