Worfield, Shropshire Family History Guide

Worfield is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Other places in the parish include: Ackleton, Wykin, Artlebury, Barnsley, Batch Pool, Bentley, Bradney, Bromley, Burcott, Catstree, Chesterton, Cranmere, Ewdness, Ferrer Gate, Hallan, Hilton, Hoccom, Kingslow, Newton, Oldington, Patmarsh, Rindleford, Roughton, Rowley, Stanlow, Stapleford, Swancott, The Lowe, Winscott, Woodside, and Allscot.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1562

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Worfield

  • Badger
  • Astley Abbots
  • Bridgnorth St Mary Magdalen
  • Quatt
  • Patshull
  • Pattingham
  • Stockton
  • Claverley
  • Pattingham
  • Quatford
Worfield from the garden
Worfield from the garden. Attribution: Tanya Dedyukhina. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license.

Historical Descriptions

Ackleton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Hackleton; or Ackleton. A township in the parish of Worfield, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry. 4 ½ miles north-east of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Alscot

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Alscot. A township in the parish of Worfield, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstony. 8 miles south-west of Wenlock.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Barnsley

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Barnsley. A township in the parish of Worfield, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry. 2 miles east of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Bradney

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Bradney. A township in the parish of Worfield, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry, 4 ½ miles north-east of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Bromley

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Bromley. A township in the parish of Worfield, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry. 2 miles north-east of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Burcot

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Burcot. A township in the parish of Worfield, or Worvil, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry. 2 miles north-east of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Catstree

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Catstrey; or Catstree. A township in the parish of Worfield, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry. 3 miles north northeast of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Chesterton

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Chesterton, a township in Worfield parish, Salop; 5 ½ miles NE of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Chesterton. A township in the parish of Worfield, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry. 5 miles north-east of Bridgnorth. At Chesterton is one of the most perfect Roman camps in the Island, and the Saxons had a Castle there.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Cranmere

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Cranmore or Cranmere. A township in the parish of Worfield, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry. 3 ½ miles north-east of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Ewdness

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Ewdness. A township in the parish of Worfield, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry. 3 ½ miles north-east by north of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Hallon

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Hallon. A township in the parish of Worfield, and in the hundred of Brimstry. Here the Saxon Lords of Worfield, had their castle and apart of their demesne. In this township stands Davenport house, with its beautiful grounds, So much admired by the poet Shenstone, who

Amidst these woods and lawns had rov’d

And oft these rural scenes approv’d

The residence of Valentine Vickers, Esq. 4 miles north-east of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Hilton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Hilton. A township in the parish of Worfield, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry. 4 mites north-east by east of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Hoccom

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Hockham or Hoccom. A township in the parish of Worfield, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry. 1 mile north-east by east of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Kingslow

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Kingslow. A township in the parish of Worfield, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry. 6 miles north-east of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Newton

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Newton. A township in the parish of Worfield, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry. 3 ½ miles north-east by north of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Oldington

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Oldington. A township in the parish of Worfield, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry. 3 ½ miles north-east by north of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Rindleford

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Rindleford Mill
Rindleford Mill. Attribution: Row17 / Rindleford Mill / CC BY-SA 2.0

Rindleford. A township in the parish of Worfield, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry. 2 miles north-east of Bridgnorth.

Rindleford is in the parish and manor of Worfield, in which stood, in very early time, one of the manor Mills, used for grinding the corn of the customary tenants of the manor, – which mill was kept in repair at their expense, and apportioned the last time in the reign of Charles I. The family of Rindleford enjoyed a Walk Mill and lands here till the reign of Henry V.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Roughton

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Roughton. A township in the parish of Worfield, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry. 2 ½ miles north-east by east of Bridgnorth.

Roughton is in the manor of Worfield. In this township are the mansion houses of James Marshall, Esq., and Mrs. Stokes. On the green, prior to the reformation, stood the chapel of St. Anne, but not a vestige of it remains. On the south side of the publick road leading though this place from Bridgnorth to Wolverhampton, was seated one of the Lodges of the Foresters of Morfe, but has been for ages swept away, and the office has probably been a long abolished.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Rowley

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Rowley. A township in the parish of Worfield, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry.

Rowley is in the manor of Worfield. The ancient family of Rowley resided in this township till it passed to their descendant, John Shawcross, who sold it in the year 1686. Roger Rowley, one of its proprietors, was the first person who set up his coach in Shrewsbury. It now belongs to W. Y. Davenport, Esq.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Wykin

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Wykin, a township in Worfield parish, Salop; 3 ¼ miles ENE of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Poll Books

Worfield, Poll Book 1865

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Bridgnorth
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Trysull
  • Poor Law Union: Bridgnorth
  • Hundred: Brimstree
  • Province: Canterbury
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s