Wombridge is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Other places in the parish include: Oakengates.
Parish registers begin: 1721
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Wombridge
- Malins Lee
- Priors Lee
- Wrockwardine Wood
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WOMBRIDGE, a parish and a sub-district in Wellington district, Salop. The parish lies on Watling-street, and on the Shrewsbury and Wolverhampton railway, near Oakengates r. station, and 2½ miles E of Wellington; and includes part of Oakengates chapelry, which has a post-office under Wellington, Salop. Acres, 698. Real property, £6,699; of which £3,900 are in iron-works, and £25 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 2,166; in 1861, 2,601. Houses, 455. The increase of pop. arose from extension of iron-works, and from facilities for purchasing land for building purposes. The manor belongs to the Duke of Sutherland and St. J.Charlton, Esq. Extensive iron-works and colliery works are at Ketley. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £133. Patron, St. J.Charlton, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1760, and recently enlarged. The vicarage of Oakengates is a separate benefice. There are a Wesleyan chapel and national schools.—The sub-district contains three parishes and a part. Acres, 3,295. Pop., 6,597. Houses, 1,193.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Oaken Gates. A township in the hundred of Bradford, South.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Wellington (Shropshire)
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of Wombridge Abbey
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Newport
- Poor Law Union: Wellington
- Hundred: South Bradford
- Province: Canterbury