Broseley is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Shropshire.
Parish church: St. Leonard
Parish registers begin: 1570
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Broseley
- Sutton Maddock
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BROSELEY, a small town, a parish, and a subdistrict in Madeley district, Salop. The town stands on the river Severn, and on the Severn Valley railway, adjacent to Coalport station, 7½ miles SSE of Wellington. It extends away from the river a distance of 2 miles, in an irregularly built street, crossed at intervals by small lanes. It is surrounded by a mining district, in which coal and iron-stone are worked; it carries on manufactures of fire-bricks, tiles, and tobacco pipes; and it has a post office under Wellington, Salop, a banking office, two chief inns, a town hall, a parish church, four dissenting chapels, and endowed charities £20. The church is in the later English style; and was built in 1845, at a cost of £9,000; but has a fine square tower of a previous church. A weekly market is held on Wednesday; and fairs on 26 Jan., 29 May, and 28 Oct. A petroleum spring is in the neighbourhood; and an iron bridge, with one arch of 100½ feet in span, over the Severn, is 2¾ miles to the NNW.—The parish comprises 1,912 acres. Real property, £8,791; of which £697 are in mines. Pop., 4,724. Houses, 983. The property is not much divided. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Linley, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £432. Patron, Lord Forester. The rectory of Jackfield is a separate charge.-The subdistrict contains five parishes and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 7,847. Pop., 5,853. Houses, 1,208.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Broseley, co. Salop.
London 146m. NW. Pop.4814. M.D. Wed. Fairs, Easter Mond. and Oct. 29.
A market-town and parish in the hundred of Wenlock, situated on the river Severn, by which it is separated from Madeley. Here are coal and iron mines, with founderies of great magnitude for the working of the latter. A curious burning spring, or well, was discovered here in 1711, which disappeared by the sinking of a coal-mine in 1755. It is supposed that the water was impregnated with the inflammable substance, called petroleum, This town is celebrated for its extensive manufacture of tobacco-pipes and garden-pots. The living is a rectory in the archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Hereford; charged in K. B. 7l. 18s. 6½.; church ded. to St. Leonard; patron (1829) Lord Forrester.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Broseley Parish Registers 1570-1700
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. XIV (1921)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
Editor; Alfred F. C. C. Langley
Publisher: Mitchell and Hughes, 140 Wardour Street, W. London. 1889.
Broseley Parish Registers 1701-1750
The Register of Broseley Birch Meadow Chapel. Particular Baptist 1794-1835
Shropshire parish registers : Nonconformist and Roman Catholic registers (1903)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society; Evans, George Eyre; Fletcher, W. G. D. (William George Dimock), 1851-1935; Kinsella, William
Publisher: [London] : Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Madeley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Wenlock
- Poor Law Union: Madeley
- Hundred: Much Wenlock Borough
- Province: Canterbury