Adderley is a small village and parish in the extreme north of Shropshire, four miles from Market Drayton, and includes the townships of Adderley, Spoonley, and (ecclesiastically) Shavington. It is in the diocese of Lichfield., archdeaconry of Salop, rural-deanery of Hodnet, and hundred of North Bradford. It has an area of 3,938 acres, and a population of 468 in 1891. In 1676 there were 198 inhabitants over the age of 16, of whom two were Nonconformists.
Source: Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. IV (1903). Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society.
Parish registers begin: 1692
Parishes adjacent to Adderley
- Market Drayton
- Norton in Hales
- Moreton Say
Adderley Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Adderley, 3 m. N. Drayton. P. 404.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Adderley The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Adderley, a parish in the Drayton division of the hund. of Bradford North, union of Drayton, Shropshire; 4 miles north of Market-Drayton. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Lichfield; rated at £11 6s. 0½d. Patron, in 1829, H. C. Cotton, Esq. There is a small foundation in this parish for the education of poor children. The Birmingham and Liverpool Junction canal runs through this parish. Pop, in 1801, 365; in 1831, 468. Houses 73. Acres 2,260. A. P. £5,603. Poor rates, in 1837, £236.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Adderley Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Adderley. A parish in the Drayton division of the hundred of Bradford, North. A rectory in charge, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Newport, and archdeaconry of Salop. 59 homes, 378 inhabitants. The residence of Sir Andrew Corbet, bart. 3 ½ miles north of Drayton.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Adderley Parish Registers
Adderley Parish Registers 1692-1812
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. IV (1903)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
Adderley Shropshire Parish Documents 1902
Documents in the custody of the Parish Council. – Kept in a desk in the house of the Clerk, viz : –
Parish Council Minute Book.
Receipt and Payment Book.
Documents in the custody of the Rector. – The following are kept in an iron chest in the Church, viz :-
General Register, 1692 – 1754, then Baptisms and Burials only to 1772.
Register of Baptisms and Burials, 1772 – 1812.
Register of Baptisms, 1813 – 1883.
Register of Baptisms, 1883 – in use.
Register of Marriages, 1755 – 1812.
Register of Marriages, 1813 – 1836.
Register of Marriages, 1837 – in use.
Register of Banns, 1824 – in use.
Register of Burials, 1813 – in use.
Vestry Minute Book, 1846 – in use.
Terrier of Glebe, dated 1752.
Copy of Terrier of Glebe Lands, dated 1836.
Terrier of Lands, Tithe, &c., in Adderley, dated 1884.
Church Rate Assessment Book, 1849 – 1867.
Agreement, with Map, dated February 24th, 1860, between the Landowners of the West of England and South Wales Drainage and Inclosure Company and Richard Corbet, Esq. for draining lands in Moreton Say, Stoke-upon-Tern, Childs Ercall, Adderley, and Drayton-in-Hales.
Justices Certificate of ditto, dated 1861.
Director Certificate of ditto, dated 1863.
Various old deeds and miscellaneous papers, &c., &c.
The following are kept at the rectory, viz :-
Supervisors of Highways Account Book, 1750 – 1801.
Churchwardens’ Account Book, 1752 – 1802.
Churchwardens’ Account Book, 1802 – 1863.
Overseer’s Account Book, 1791 – 1822.
Overseer’s Account Book, 1823 – 1835.
Vestry Minute Book, 1784 – 1797.
Vestry Minute Book, 1798 – 1804.
Vestry Minute Book (Rates), 1806 – 1824.
Vestry Minute Book, 1808 – 1813.
Book containing names of recipients of Reynolds Charity 1767 – 1825
Do, 1826 – 1888
Do. 1889 – in use.
Tithe Map and Award, dated 1840.
Deed of Exchange of several pieces of land in Adderley, dated 1790.
Order of Exchange of Lands at Adderley, dated 31st January, 1866.
A Schedule of Deeds and Papers belonging to the Parish of Adderley made the 24th April, 1789.
Source: Shropshire Parish Documents published 1902. A report of the Inspection of Parish Documents made to Salop County Council under section 17 of the Local Government Act 1894. Note: The location of the documents listed in this transcription are as cited in the book published in 1902 and should be used as a guide only. It should not be assumed that the documents are still kept at the stated location. Interested parties should perhaps contact Shropshire records office to ascertain the documents current whereabouts.
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Market Drayton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Market Drayton
- Poor Law Union: Market Drayton
- Hundred: North Bradford
- Province: Canterbury