Hailes is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1837 from a chapelry in Didbrook Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin: 1814
Parishes adjacent to Hailes
- Winchcombe with Gretton
- Guiting Power with Farmcote
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Hailes, a parish, in the union of Winchcomb, Lower division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 2 miles (N. E. by E.) from Winchcomb; containing 120 inhabitants. Richard, Earl of Cornwall, afterwards King of the Romans and Emperor of Germany, established a Cistercian abbey in the year 1246, the greater part of which was destroyed by fire in 1271, but was restored by the founder at an expense of 8000 marks; it continued to flourish till the Dissolution, when its revenues we’re returned at £357. 7. 8.; there are still some remains. The parish comprises 1500 computed acres, of which about 250 are wood, and the remainder chiefly pasture, with a due portion of arable land. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Didbrook.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Winchcomb
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Campden
- Poor Law Union: Northleach
- Hundred: Kiftsgate
- Province: Canterbury