Great Badminton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1538
Nonconformists include: Society of Friends/Quaker
Parishes adjacent to Great Badminton
- Little Sodbury
- Old Sodbury
- Acton Turville
Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Badminton, or Great Badminton, a village, a parish, and a ducal park in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester. The village stands under the Cotswolds, on the SE verge of the county, 5 miles E by N of Chipping-Sodbury, and 7 E of Yate r. station. It has a post-office under Chippenham; and is a seat of petty sessions and a meet of the Beaufort hounds. The parish comprises 1,735 acres. Real property, £2,990. Pop., 524. Houses, 107. The property belongs all to the Duke of Beaufort; and most of it is included in his park. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, not reported. Patron, the Duke of Beaufort. The ancient church belonged to the abbey of Pershore; and the present one was built by the late Duke of Beaufort in 1785, stands within the park, lifts a pinnacle tower into view over the mansion, is a remarkably elegant structure, and contains many monuments of the Beaufort family, and the remains of Field-Marshal Lord Raglan. A free school and an alms-house have an income of £94, left in 1705 by the then Duchess-Dowager of Beaufort. The park is about 3 miles long, nearly 2 miles wide, and upwards of 9 miles in circuit; and contains some very fine woods and beautiful drives. The mansion in it was erected in 1682, by the first Duke of Beaufort; and succeeded Raglan castle, in Monmouthshire, as the principal seat of his family. The edifice is very extensive; consists of centre and wings; is in the Palladian style, with rusticated basement and two surmounting cupolas; and contains many family portraits, downward from John of Gaunt, some rare and curious pictures by the Italian masters, and the remarkable satirical piece by Salvator Rosa, which occasioned that artist’s expulsion from Rome.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72]
Black’s Guide to Gloucestershire 1865
Badminton, the seat of the Duke of Beaufort, is 16 miles distant, to the north-east of Bristol. This large and elegant mansion is situated in an extensive and finely-wooded park, and contains some fine paintings and sculptures and a good library. The Church is a tasteful modern edifice, and contains, among other monuments, a beautiful piece of sculpture to the memory of Henry Charles, sixth Duke of Beaufort. The remains of Field-Marshal Lord Raglan, commander-in-chief of the British army in the Crimea, are interred here.
Source: Black’s guide to Gloucestershire. Black Adam and Charles, Ltd. 1865
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Badminton (Great), a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Grumbald’s Ash, union of Chipping-Sodbury, county of Gloucester, situated on the borders of Wilts; 5½ miles east by north from Chipping-Sodbury, and 12 from Bath. Living, a discharged vicarage, with the chapelry of Little Budminton annexed, formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the archd. of Bristol and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £5 5s. 7½d.; gross income £7. Patron, in 1835, the duke of Beaufort. The church, erected by the late duke of Beaufort in 1785, is a remarkably elegant structure, richly decorated with ornamental statuary and memorials of the Beaufort family. An alms-house for three men and three women, and a school for the children of Great and Little Badminton and Littleton-Drew, are supported on a rent-charge of £94, given for the purpose in 1705, by Mary, duchess-dowager of Beaufort. Badminton-house, the residence of the duke of Beaufort, stands in a fine and very extensive park in this parish. It was erected in 1682 by the first duke of Beaufort. Pop., in 1801, 423; in 1831, 529. Houses 100. Acres 1,450. A. P. £2,563. Poor rates, in 1837, £229.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Badminton (Great), 2 m. E. Chipping-Sodbury. P. 502
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Great Badminton Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863
Great Badminton Marriages
Marriages at Great Badminton 1538 to 1812
Note. – Volume I, 1538 to 1710. This volume consists of thirty-three parchment leaves, size 14 ¾ in. by 6 ½ in., condition good, handwriting fairly good throughout, binding half-calf, not original. The last eight entries of this volume occur also in Volume II, and have been collated therewith. One entry omitted in Volume I is found in Volume II.
Volume II, 1707 to 1768. This volume consists of twenty-nine leaves. Size 13 ¾ in. by 7 ½ in. Four leaves seem to have been cut out, but this does not apparently affect the entries. Condition and writing good; binding, the original parchment cover.
Volume III is a Register of Baptisms and Burials only.
Volume IV, 1768 to 1812. This volume contains the registration of Banns for the same period; the Marriage entries have therefore been collated with the entries of the Banns. The whole volume contains forty-seven leaves, of which twenty pages are filled with Banns, and thirty-five pages with Marriage entries. Size 14 ½ in. by 9 ½ in., condition and writing good, binding the original calf.
It should be noted that Little Badminton, called a “hamlet” in the Registers, has been, and is still, a part of the civil Parish of Hawkesbury, though in 1750 it was attached ecclesiastically to Great Badminton.
These extracts have been made by the Rev. F. Tower, vicar of Great Badminton, and are now printed by his leave and under his supervision, after collating the proof with the original Registers.
Great Badminton Marriages 1800 to 1812
Great Badminton Marriages 1780 to 1799
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Chipping Sodbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Hawkesbury
- Poor Law Union: Chipping Sodbury
- Hundred: Grumbald’s Ash
- Province: Canterbury