Dodderhill is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire. Elmbridge is a chapelry of Dodderhill.
Other places in the parish include: Dodderhill In Liberties, Dodderhill common, Huntingdrop, Timberhonger, Impney, Rashwood, Astwood and Shaw Lane.
Parish Church: St. Augustine
The earliest register is dated 1651.
Nonconformists included in Dodderhill: Independent/Congregational
Parishes adjacent to Dodderhill
- Droitwich St Nicholas
- Grafton Manor
- Upton Warren
- Marlborough in the Vines
- Droitwich St Peter
- Stoke Prior
Historical Descriptions of Dodderhill
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales 1870
Dodderhill, a village and a parish in Droitwich district, and within Droitwich parliamentary borough, Worcester. The village stands in the vicinity of the Birmingham and Worcester canal and the Birmingham and Gloucester railway, ½ a mile N of Droitwich; and had anciently an hospital, founded, in the time of Edward I., by William de Dovere. The parish includes also In-Liberties within Droitwich municipal borough, and the chapelry of Elmbridge. Post town, Droitwich. Acres, 5,450. Real property of Dodderhill-proper and Elmbridge, £11,414. Pop., 2, 141. Houses, 463. The property is much subdivided. Some of the inhabitants are employed in paper-mills and salt-works. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Elmbridge, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £500.* Patron, Mr. Jackson. The church shows some curious features, partly Norman; was much injured during the civil war, and afterwards restored; and has a tower and monumental tablets. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £38.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Dodderhill, a parish partly in the borough of Droitwich, and partly in the upper division of the hund. of Halfshire, union of Droitwich, county of Worcester; ½ mile north from Droitwich, in the neighbourhood of the Birmingham and Gloucester railway, and the Birmingham and Worcester canal. It includes the chapelry of Elmbridge. Living, a vicarage, with the curacy of Elmbridge, in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £12 12s. 3½d.; gross income £500. Patroness, in 1835, Mrs. Penrice. Here is a daily school, partly supported by endowment. Houses 380. Pop., in 1801, 1,445 ; in 1831. 1,799. Poor rates, in 1837, £1,058.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Dodderhill (St. Augustine), a parish, in the union, and partly within the borough, of Droitwich, but chiefly in the Upper division of the hundred of Halfshire, Droitwich and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, ½ a mile (N.) from Droitwich; containing, with the chapelry of Elmbridge, 2130 inhabitants. It is intersected by the river Salwarp and the road from Droitwich to Bromsgrove, and consists of 5024 acres of a rich and highly productive soil. The Birmingham canal and the Birmingham and Gloucester railway pass near its eastern extremity. The living is a vicarage, endowed with part of the rectorial tithes, and valued in the King’s books at £12. 12. 3½., with a net income of £500; it is in the patronage of Mrs. Penrice, and several individuals have the impropriation of the remainder of the rectorial tithes. The church is a curious edifice: having been partly destroyed in the parliamentary war, it was rebuilt, and now consists of the north transept of a Norman church, with a chancel of later date, and a tower in the place of the south transept. At Elmbridge is a chapel of ease. There is a school with an endowment; and several small benefactions are distributed among the poor. A free chapel, or hospital, was founded in the 13th of Edward I., and dedicated to St. Mary, by William de Dovere, for a master and poor brethren, who were under the government of the prior of Worcester, and whose lands, at the suppression of free chapels in the reign of Edward VI., were valued at £21. 11. 8.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Dodderhill – a parish in the hundred of Halfshire, upper division, adjoining Droitwich, 7 miles N.N.E. from Worcester, Worcestershire, and 118 from London; containing 145 inhabited houses. The church stands upon a hill, and has lately been repaired at a considerable expense. It is a vicarage, with the chapelry of Elmbridge annexed; Rev. John Amphlett, D.D., incumbent; instituted 1789; G. Penrice, Esq., patron. Population, 1801, 677 – 1811, 665 – 1821, 734.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
St. Augustine’s church, Dodderhill
Photos of the Graves at St. Augustine’s church, Dodderhill
Family History Links for Dodderhill
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Droitwich
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Droitwich
- Poor Law Union: Droitwich
- Hundred: Droitwich Borough; Halfshire
- Province: Canterbury
- Parliamentary Borough: Droitwich
- Polling District: Droitwich
- Petty Sessional Division: Droitwich
- County Court District: Droitwich