Acton Turville is a village and parish in Chipping Sodbury union, containing by the census of 1861, 310, and in 1871, 314 inhabitants, with 1090 acres of land; in the deanery of Hawkesbury, archdeaconry of Bristol, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Grumbolds Ash, West Gloucestershire; 7 miles east from Yate station, 9 ½ south-west from Chippenham, 13 north from Bath, 17 north-east from Bristol, and 103 from London, on the road from Bristol to Malmesbury. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. R. Herbert Mullens, is valued at £200 per annum, with residence and 20 acres of glebe land, and is in the patronage of the Duke of Beaufort. The church is an ancient edifice, in the early English style, consisting of nave, chancel, aisle, and porch with an elegant pyramidical bell turret containing one bell. There is a school for children of both sexes, which was erected by the Duke of Beaufort in 1862, and is supported by the Duchess of Beaufort. The Duke of Beaufort is lord of the manor and owner of the soil. The rateable value of this parish is £1179.
Mullins Rev. R. Herbert, vicar
TRADES AND PROFESSIONS
Baker Richard, grocer and general dealer
Brown William, shopkeeper
Butler William, farmer
Cam William, boot and shoemaker
Fry Thomas, farmer
Goulter James, farmer
Long Jesse, mason and parish clerk
Minett William, farmer
Norton William, “Fox and Hounds” inn
Sainsbury James, stonemason
Tanner James, brick, tile, and drain pipe manufacturer
White Henry, carpenter
Chippenham is the post town, and Great Badminton the nearest money order office.
Free School – Miss Helen Freegard, mistress
Carrier – J. Smith, from Sherston to Bath, passes through every Saturday.
Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.