The marriages for Acton Turville are included in those for Tormarton
Acton Turville is a chapelry of Tormarton Ancient Parish in Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1665
Nonconformists include: Baptist
School: erected in 1862 for boys and girls.
Parishes adjacent to Acton Turville
- Littleton Drew
Acton Turville Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Acton-Turville, a parish in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester; near the Fosse way and under the Cotswold hills, 5½ miles E by S of Chipping-Sodbury, and 7½ E of Yate r. station. Post-town, Badminton under Chippenham. Acres, 1,009. Real property, £1,424. Pop., 310. Houses, 68. The property is not much divided. There are traces of a sanctuary built by some one of the Saxon Kings. The living is a vicarage, united to the rectory of Tormarton, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72]
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Acton-Turville, 4 m. E. Chipping-Sodbury. P. 311.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Acton-Turville (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Chipping-Sodbury, Lower division of the hundred of Grumbald’s-Ash, W division of the county of Gloucester, 5 ¾ miles (E.) from Chipping Sodbury; containing 311 inhabitants. This place, which lies on the border of Wiltshire, is exceedingly well situated with respect to means of communication, roads branching off from the village to the towns of Malmsbury, Chippenham, Bath, and Chipping Sodbury, respectively. The living is a vicarage not in charge, united to the rectory of Tormarton in 1344.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Acton-Turville, a chapelry in the parish of Tormarton, Gloucestershire; 6 miles east of Chipping-Sudbury, on the road from Bristol to Malmesbury. Living, a curacy in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol, subordinate to the rectory of Tormarton. Patron, the vicar of Tormarton. A stone-building, dedicated to the Virgin, in the centre of the town, was formerly used as a sanctuury. There is a foot-post to Luckington. Pop., in 1801, 156; in 1831, 236. Houses 48. Acres 940. A. P. £1,264. Poor rates, in 1837, £61.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Acton Turville, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Chipping Sodbury (113¼) 6 m. E b S. Pop. 215.
A parochial chapelry in the lower division of the hundred of Grumbald’s Ash, subordinate to the rectory of Tormarton, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; certified value of living 6l. 13s. 4d.; church ded. to St. Mary; patron Rector of Tormarton.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1807
Acton Turvil, (Glouc ) a village about 5 miles from Chipping Sedbury [sic], in the middle of which is an ancient building, erected by one of the Saxon kings for a sanctuary. Distant from London by Chippenham 102 miles 2 furl. by Malmsbury 106 m. 2 f. On the right is Badminton House, the residence of the duke of Beaufort.
Source: Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales; Crosby Rev. J. Malham; 1807.
Marriages at Acton Turville 1671-1723
Statistics for Acton Turville
Family History Links for Acton Turville
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Chipping Sodbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Hawkesbury
- Poor Law Union: Chipping Sodbury
- Hundred: Grumbald’s Ash
- Province: Canterbury
- County Court District: Chipping Sodbury