Abbenhall, or Abinghall. is a small parish, on the road from Newnham to Micheldean, 3 miles south from Micheldean road station, and 5 north-west from Newnham, in Newnham county court district, St. Briavels hundred, union of Westbury-on-Severn, from which it is 3 miles north-west, rural deanery of the Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol. The church of St. Michael is an ancient stone building in the Mediaeval style of architecture, and has a tower with 3 bells, nave, south aisle, one brass, and a font. The living is a rectory, value £140 yearly, with residence and 25 acres of glebe land, in the gift of J. F. Sevier, Esq.; the Rev. James Davies, M.A., of Oriel College, Oxford, is incumbent. There is a day school for boys and girls. The population in 1861 was 228; the acreage is 1,000. John Probyn, Esq., is lord of the manor.
Gunn’s Mills, 1 mile from the church, is in this parish.
Davies Mrs. Henrietta, The Wilderness
Davies Rev. James, M.A. Rectory
Robinson Mr. John, Abbenhall house
Barnard Thomas, bailiff to Osman Barrett, esq. & farmer
Borlase & Robinson, solicitors
Boughton Henry, beer retailer
Farr George, blacksmith
Griffiths John, nailmaker & shopkeeper
Haile Joseph, Lamb
Hayward John, tailor
Joiner John, farmer
Pope John, farmer, Shapridge
Scudamore John, farmer, Church farm
Smith George, boot & shoe maker
Smith Thomas, miller
Smith Thomas, wheelwright
Wintle James, boot & shoe maker
Yearsley Richard, farmer, Folly farm
Letters received through Newnham. Micheldean is the nearest money order office.
School, Miss Ann Ball, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.