Abbenhall, or Abinghall, is a small parish 2 miles south from Micheldean road station, and 5 north-west from Newnham, in St. Briavel’s Hundred, Union of Westbury-on-Severn, from which it is 3 miles north-west. It is in the archdeaconry of Gloucester and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, situated on the high road from Newnham to Micheldean. The church of St. Michael is a stone building in the mediaeval style of architecture, and has a tower with 3 bells, nave, and south aisle, two brasses, and a font. The living is a rectory, worth £140 yearly with residence and 25 acres of glebe land; the Rev. James Davies, M.A., is incumbent. There is a day school for boys and girls. The population, in 1851, was 230, and the acreage is 1,000. John Probyn, Esq., is lord of the manor.
GUNN’S MILLS, 1 mile from the church, is a hamlet in the parish.
Colchester Maynard, esq. the Wilderness
Davies Rev. James, M.A. Rectory
Gould Aaron, esq.
Robinson Mr. John
Barnard James, shopkeeper & beer retlr
Farr George, blacksmith
Haile Joseph, ‘Lamb’
Joiner John, farmer
Millington John, grocer & draper
Scudamore John, farmer, Church farm
Smith George, boot & shoe maker
Smith Thomas, wheelwright
Vizard Thomas, farmer, Shapridge
Letters received through Micheldean, which is the nearest money order office.
St. Michael’s Church, Rev. James Davies, M.A. rector
School, Miss Julia Clapham, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.
Note: Micheldean is not a spelling mistake but is how it is spelt in the directory.