Photo of Alstone Church. Alstone church is dedicated to St Margaret and dates from the 12th century, though much was what we see today probably dates from the early 17th century. by Philip Halling, some rights reserved.
Alstone is part of the parish of Overbury with Alstone, Teddington and Little Washbourne partly in Gloucestershire and partly in Worcestershire. The Gloucestershire parts are Alstone and Little Washbourne. Alstone is a chapel of ease to Overbury.
Alstone was transferred to Gloucestershire in 1844 by the Act of the 7th and 8th Vic. Chap. 61.
Church: St. Margaret
Parish registers begin: 1546
Parishes adjacent to Alstone
- Great Washbourne
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Alstone, a chapelry in Overbury parish, Gloucester; 3½ miles ESE of Tewkesbury r. station, and 4½ NW of Winchcomb. Post Town, Tewkesbury. Acres, with Little Washbourne, 1,060. Rated property, £690. Pop., 96. Houses, 20. The property is divided among a few. The living is a curacy, united to the vicarage of Overbury, in the diocese of Worcester. The church is very dilapidated.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Alstone, 5 m. E. by S. Tewkesbury. P. 89
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Alstone, a chapelry, in the parish of Overbury, Middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 6½ miles (E. by S.) from Tewkesbury; containing 89 inhabitants. It forms part of a detached portion of the parish, surrounded on all sides, except the north-west by the county of Gloucester. The chapel is dedicated to St. Margaret.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Alstone, a chapelry in the parish of Overbury, union of Winchcomb, Worcestershire; 5 miles east by south from Tewkesbury. Pop., in 1801, 83; in 1831, 78. Houses 18. A. P. £892. Poor rates, in 1837, £56.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Alstone – a hamlet and chapelry to the township of Teddington, in the parish of Overbury, hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 7 miles S.E. from Tewkesbury, and 101 from London; containing 18 inhabited houses, isolated in Gloucestershire. Population, 1801, 83 – 1811, 83 – 1821, 79.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Marriages at Alstone 1550 to 1805
Worcestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., and W. F. Carter, B.A.
Vol I. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Carter, W. F. (William Fowler), b. 1856 joint ed
Note. – There is a tradition to the effect that the Register of this parish began in the year 1515, but there are no entries at present existing before 1550, though many leaves appear to have been torn out. The Rev. W. H. Staunton, Rector of Toddington, states that many years ago he took early extracts, but cannot find his note books. The oldest existing volume contains all the entries from 1550-1748, and consists of 40 leaves of parchment, measuring 12 by 6 inches. Vol. II contains the remaining weddings up to 1812. There extracts have been made by the Rev. J. Harvey Bloom, with consent of the Rev. C. Glynn, Rector of Overbury.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Winchcombe
- Probate Court:
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Tewkesbury
- Hundred: Kiftsgate
- Province: Canterbury
- County Court District: Winchcombe