Avebury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Abury, Aubery
Other places in the parish include: Beckhampton and West Kennet.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1679
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607; 1621
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Particular Baptist.
Parishes adjacent to Avebury
- Bishop’s Cannings
- East Kennett
- Winterbourne Monkton
- All Cannings
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Avebury, 5½ miles W. Marlborough. P. 751.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1807
Abury, or Aubery, (Wilts) a village near Marlborough Downs, remarkable for a collection of huge stones like those, on Salisbury Plain, and supposed by Dr. Stukeley to be the remains of a Druidical temple, which originally included the whole village within its circumference. It is surrounded by a high rampart, with a proportionable ditch on the inside; and from hence to W. Kennet is a walk nearly a mile in length, inclosed on both sides with large stones. A new road has been recently struck out this way from London to Bath.
Source: Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales; Crosby Rev. J. Malham; 1807.
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Marlborough
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Avebury
- Poor Law Union: Marlborough
- Hundred: Selkley
- Province: Canterbury