Alternative names: Alton Priors with West Stowell, Alton Priors with Stowell
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1664; see also Overton
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605
Parishes adjacent to Alton Priors
- Alton Barnes
- East Kennett
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Alton-Priors, a chapelry in the parish of Overton division of Everley and Pewsey, union of Pewsy, Wiltshire; 1 mile south of Alton-Barnes. Living, a curacy in the patronage of the vicar of Overton. Pop., in 1801, including the tything of Stowell, 178; in 1831, 923. Houses 40. Acres 2,630. A. P. £1,853. Poor rates, in 1837, £89.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Alton-Priors with Stowell, 4 m. S. by W. Overton. P.251
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Stowell, co. Wilts.
P. T. Marlborough (74) 6 m. SW b S. Pop. with Alton Priors 166.
A tithing in the parish of Overton and hundred of Elstub and Everley.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. III; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Pewsey
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Avebury
- Poor Law Union: Pewsey
- Hundred: Elstub and Everleigh
- Province: Canterbury