Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Alton Berners
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1592
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605; 1609; 1665
Parishes adjacent to Alton Barnes
- Stanton St Bernard
- Alton Priors
- East Kennett
Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Alton-Barnes, or Alton-Berners, a parish in the division and union of Devizes, Wiltshire; 44 miles west by north from Pewsey. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Wilts and dio. of Salisbury; rated at £6 18s. 11½d. ; gross income £311. In the patronage of New College, Oxford. There is a small daily school here. Pop., in 1801, 83; in 1831, 138. Houses 25. Acres 250. A. P. £959. Poor rates, in 1837, £40. This parish is intersected by the Avon canal.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Alton-Barnes, 7 miles S.W. Marlborough. P. 167.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Devizes
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Avebury
- Poor Law Union: Devizes
- Hundred: Swanborough (Wiltshire)
- Province: Canterbury