Almeley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
The hamlet of Woonton is 1¾ miles from the church. The other hamlets are Logaston and Houghton or Wootton half a mile north on the road from Hereford to Kington Hopley’s Green is 1 mile north north east. Logaston is 1 mile east. Upcott Cross half a mile south. Meer Common 2 miles north east and the Stocks 1½ north east.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1595
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Society of Friends/Quaker.
There is a Primitive Methodist chapel at Wootton, built in 1870; a Friends neeting house with a burial ground attached, and another Friends meeting house at Woonton built in 1888.
The soil is clayey subsoil red sandstone marl with gravel in some parts. The chief crops wheat barley oats and turnips. The area of the is 3,441 acres of land and 8 of water rateable value 4.612 population in 1901 500.
Parishes adjacent to Almeley
- Pembridge with Moorcourt
- Eardisley with Bollingham
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Almeley, 13 m. S.W. Leominster. P. 642.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Weobley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Weobley
- Poor Law Union: Weobley
- Hundred: Stretford
- Province: Canterbury