Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1606
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Parishes adjacent to Alderbury
- West Grimstead
- Charlton All Saints
- Nunton and Bodenham
- Clarendon Park
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Alderbury, a parish in the division of Salisbury and Amesbury, union of Alderbury, Wilts, containing the chapelries of Farley and Pitton, and the tything of Alderbury. It is about 3 miles south of Salisbury. Living, a discharged vicarage, a peculiar of the treasurer of Salisbury cathedral; gross income £1,561. Patron, in 1835, the earl of Radnor. Pop. of the parish, in 1831, 1,323. Houses 233. Acres 3,950. A. P. £3,502. The township of Alderbury stands on a hill, in a good sporting country, in the vicinity of the Salisbury and Southampton canal; and is intersected by the South western railway, and the proposed Hants and Wilts Union railway. A manufactory of fustians here gives employment to many of the inhabitants. Pop., in 1801, 430; in 1831, 690. Houses 101. Acres 2,100. A. P. £1,689. Poor rates, in 1837, £218.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Alderbury, 3 miles S.E. Salisbury. P. 1440
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Crosby’s Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1815
Alderbury, (Wilts.) a village pleasantly situated in a good sporting country near the Avon. Its air is very salubrious, and it carries on a considerable manufacture of fustians. Distant from Salisbury 3 miles. On the left is a turnpike road to Southampton by Ramsey, or Redbridge. Population, 448.
Source: Crosby’s Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1815; Baldwin, Cradock & Joy.
Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1807
Alderbury, (Wilts) a village pleasantly situated in a good sporting country near the Avon. Its air is very salubrious, and it carries on 9 considerable manufacture of fustians. Distant from Salisbury 3 m. 2 f. On the left is a turnpike. Road to Fordingbridge.
Source: Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales; Crosby Rev. J. Malham; 1807
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Alderbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Treasurer of Salisbury in the Prebendal of Calne
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – None, Post-1846 – Amesbury
- Poor Law Union: Alderbury
- Hundred: Alderbury
- Province: Canterbury