Zeal Monachorum is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Parish registers begin: 1594
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
Parishes adjacent to Zeal Monachorum
- Down St Mary
- North Tawton
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Zeal-Monachorum, a parish, with three hamlets, in Crediton district, Devon; 2 ½ miles SW of Morchard-road r. station, and 7 NW by W of Crediton. Post-town, Bow, North Devon. Acres, 3,264. Real property, £3,364. Pop., 549. Houses, 117. The property is subdivided. The manor was given, by King Canute, to Buckfast monastery; took thence the name of Monkenfield, Monkenzeal, or Zeal-Monachorum; and belongs now to J. H. Ley, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £388. Patron, the Rev. E. Cooper. There are a national school, and charities £18.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Crediton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Chumleigh
- Poor Law Union: Crediton
- Hundred: North Tawton with Winkleigh
- Province: Canterbury