Tetcott is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Parish church: Holy Cross
Parish registers begin: 1596
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Tetcott
- St Giles on the Heath
- North Tamerton
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Tetcott (Holy Cross), a parish, in the union of Holsworthy, hundred of Black Torrington, Holsworthy and N. divisions of Devon, 5 miles (S. by W.) from Holsworthy; containing 300 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Barnstaple, through Bideford, to Launceston, and comprises 2160 acres, of which 351 are common or waste; the river Tamar forms its western boundary, and the Bude canal passes within a mile and a half. Tetcott House, the beautiful seat of Sir William Molesworth, Bart., was destroyed by fire in May, 1841. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £13. 6. 8., and in the gift of Sir W. Molesworth: the tithes have been commuted for £145; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe comprises 59 acres. The church contains some interesting monuments to the Arscott family.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Holsworthy
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Holsworthy
- Poor Law Union: Holsworthy
- Hundred: Black Torrington
- Province: Canterbury