Chawleigh is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Alternative names: Chawley
Parish registers begin: 1544
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist and Independent/Congregational.
Parishes adjacent to Chawleigh
- Nymet Rowland
- West Worlington
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Chawleigh, or Chawley, a village and a parish in Crediton district, Devon. The village stands on the river Dart, 2 miles E of Eggesford r. station, and 2 SE of Chumleigh; is irregularly built, but very pleasantly situated; and has fairs on 6 May and 11 Dec. The parish comprises 5,020 acres; and its post-town is Chumleigh, North Devon. Real property, £3,729. Pop., 801. Houses, 171. The manor and about three-fourths of the property belong to the Earl of Portsmouth. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £455. Patron, the Earl of Portsmouth. The church is an ancient structure, with a tower; has a splendid carved screen; and was recently in need of extensive repair. There are chapels for Independents and Bible Christians. Charities, £99.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Crediton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Chumleigh
- Poor Law Union: Crediton
- Hundred: North Tawton with Winkleigh
- Province: Canterbury