Bow is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Devon.
Parish registers begin: 1604
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian Unitarian, and Society of Friends/Quaker.
Parishes adjacent to Bow
- Zeal Monachorum
- North Tawton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BOW, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in the district of Crediton, Devon. The village stands on the slope of a hill, near the Okehampton railway, 7½ miles W by N of Crediton; and has a post office† of Bow, North Devon, and a r. station. It was formerly a market-town; and it still has fairs on Holy Thursday and 22 Nov. The parish is called also Nymet-Tracey. Acres, 2,740. Real property, £3,466. Pop., 904. Houses, 205. The manor belonged anciently to the Traceys. Collaton House and Gratton House, now the seats of the Sanderses and the Wrefards, are fine modern mansions. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Broad-Nymet, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £533. Patron, F. Vandermeulen, Esq. The church stands about a mile from the village, and has a low square tower. There are an Independent chapel and a free school. The subdistrict comprises eight parishes. Acres, 19,402. Pop., 3,516. Houses, 736.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Crediton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Chumleigh
- Poor Law Union: Crediton
- Hundred: North Tawton with Winkleigh
- Province: Canterbury